Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unexpected RESET

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlee1

MIS
Mar 28, 2003
GB
Hi

We have a few machines that have started with the same symptoms. The mouse is taking on a mind of its own, a couple of times a day. It doesn't last long and seems to correct itself.

We are using NT4.0 SP6a on the Dell machines in question. In the System Log we get the following for each occurance:

-------------------------------------------------------
Date: {date} EventID: 35
Time: {time} Source: i8042prt
User: N/A Type: Information
Computer: {Computer Name} Category: None

Description:
An unexpected RESET was detected from the mouse device.
-------------------------------------------------------

I have done a search through TechNet and got no joy. I have looked on the Net and that pointed to a dodgy KVM (keyboard/video/mouse)switch, which we aren't using. Can anyone give us any idea of why we are getting this and how to resolve it please?

Thanks
Martin

Thanks for the link, unfortunately, the only resolution was for a 2000 machine. I have tried the same thing under NT without success, but tahnks again anyway.

I've seen the same sort of thing happen a few times. If you have them handy, install a different keyboard and mouse. That's worked for me in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back