Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unexpected reboot during hardware detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

skypanther

Programmer
Jul 10, 2003
US
I'm having problems with my Win2K SP4 system rebooting on me during hardware detection. It first happened when I installed a new 160 GB hard drive. Applying Maxtor's large hard drive OS patch seemed to fix the problem. Well, yesterday I tried installing the software for my Nikon digital camera and the problem is back.

The Nikon software/camera treats the camera as if it were a USB hard drive. When I turn the camera on, Win2K goes through its hardware detection of the new "hard drive" and in the middle of it the system reboots -- it goes to a black screen as if power were lost (I have a UPS and power isn't going down).

I can't find info on anything like this in the Microsoft Knowledgebase. Nothing on the Nikon tech support site. I've tried Googling for an answer. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tim

Skypanther Studios

No errors in the event log? Have you taken a look at DETLOG.TXT ?

Thanks for the response. I cannot find a detlog.txt file on my system. My system log was corrupted. I had to disable the service, delete the file, restart it, then try connecting the camera.

Here's the sequence of events:

1. Plug the USB cable into the camera, turn it on
2. New Hardware Found (hard disk) dialog box appears
3. Lots of disk activity
4. The Nikon download program starts, the New Hardware Found dialog box is still there in the background.
5. Very briefly, a Stop error dialog box pops up and before I can read any of it, the system reboots.

After the boot, this event is included in my system log:
-------------------------------------------------------
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000050 (0xfffffff0, 0x00000000, 0x8044f718, 0x00000000). Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195]. A dump was saved in: C:\WINNT\Minidump\Mini080503-01.dmp.
-------------------------------------------------------

I've since realized that I had my system configured to reboot automatically in the event of an error. I changed that so now I get the blue screen. It reports basically the same information as the event log, except that it says the failure is in ntoskrnl.exe.

Searching on "bugcheck 0x00000050" in the Knowledgebase finds this article ( that says that this problem was fixed in SP3. But I have SP4 installed. It also says it's a problem with Usbhub.sys not ntoskrnl.exe.

I re-applied SP4 and I applied every patch available at Windows Update. One of the support pages even suggested that antivirus software was to blame. So I turned it off.

None of these things has made any difference.

Tim

Skypanther Studios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back