Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unexpected problem with Windows 98 SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello,
I have got one unusualy problem which I am trying to fix for five days.

I have got Windows 98 SE on my computer. Everything was just fine untill the day when the problem starts without any visible reason.
If I shut down my computer for a half hour and then turn it on, I alaways get different error messages (Windows registry file error, Windows protection error,
Sometimes it ask for vmm32.vxd or VCMD or .... If I run my computer in a safe mode and then restart it, everything is OK. I have got no problems then and all
working time. If I shut down my computer and start it again immediately everything is fine. This problem happen only when I shut down my computer for 30 minutes
and more and then turn it on.

I scaned my computer for viruses. There is no virus. Anyhow, I deleted C: partition and formated my Hard drive. I reinstall windows again and problem is still here.
I have mainboard MICROSTAR, 32 MB of SDRAM, Celeron 500 MHz, HD Quantum 10, 2 GB, Graphic card is NVidia and Modem Conexant HCF 56 K.

I repeat: The problem happen every time when I turn on my computer after 30 minutes and more. I get 5-6 different messages every time new one, and then again,
and again.

Please, help me.

Thank you.

A hardware problem. When it is cold, something is loose.
Open the cabinet and check the connections. Use antistatic
equipment when working.

Could be bad RAM chip.

Remove one if your configuation allows and see if the problem still exists.

In the futre, remember this:
One of the best things about 98, is that it keeps a backup of the registry for the past 5 days, or more with ini file editting. Re-loading the system will not fix registry errors.

Try hitting F8 on startup, choose command prompt only. At the c: prompt, type:
cd\windows\command
then type:
scanreg /restore
and choose a date prior to the problem.

reghakr

reghakr, when you say reloading the system will not fix registry errors, true if you do an over the top reinstall, however Banisa says he re-partitioned and formatted before doing a clean install. I would think this would get rid of any registry problems quite satisfactorily!

reghakr, when you say reloading the system will not fix registry errors, true if you do an over the top reinstall, however Banisa says he re-partitioned and formatted before doing a clean install. I would think this would get rid of any registry problems quite neatly!

Apologies for the double post, was making an alteration and something went wrong

Mulga,

Yes, you're right, I was just explaining the process if he needs it in the future (after he's up and running).

It sounds like some type of hardware failure to me and can't be corrected untill the device is identified.

reghakr

Have you considered checking for a weak CMOS battery or power supply problem?

Banisa

Newsgroups articles seem to point at your modem.
(Conexant HCF 56 K)Rockwell chipset.."Winmodem"

Have you considered updating driver? This site was mentioned as particularly good for yours.

Good Luck

Not 100% sure but virtual device probs like this can be attributed to the keyboard. I'd change it (and the mouse for good measure). If you dont know what it is, you can say what it isn't??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back