Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unexpected Parameter Request for all reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

alley

Programmer
Feb 8, 2000
US
Help is not helpful.&nbsp;&nbsp;I get a request for Jobno after the start/end date parameters on every report I have tried, even though jobno is not a group or subtotal or header.&nbsp;&nbsp;Just a piece of data in the report.&nbsp;&nbsp;Strange it is always jobno.&nbsp;&nbsp;Somewhere I have made a little tin god of jobno.&nbsp;&nbsp;How do I de-throne him?<br>Alley

Well sometimes it can be difficult to find.<br>But you had it there at one time and either deleted it or changed it. <br>So to find it do this<br>First make a copy of it so you don't detroy it.<br>second start removing items one at a time and run it after each removal to see if it still prompts.<br>When it stops prompting then you found it.<br>Then note which on it is.<br>Close it and DO NOT save it.<br>Reopen it and delete the problem.<br><br>This is one slow methodical approach.<br><br>OK<br>

Normally that only happens if there is a user defined field in a query somewhere, or if there is an ambigious criteria set.&nbsp;&nbsp;Would suggest you go through each query field first, then each table field.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then reference DougP's suggestion (and don't forget the backup :) )<br><br>

The only way I can find to eliminate the request is to get rid of the jobno field in the query which supports the report..&nbsp;&nbsp;This, of course, is not acceptable for some reports.&nbsp;&nbsp;If I remove all parameters (start and end dates) then no jobno request is made at all.&nbsp;&nbsp;Another query/report pair contains jobno 3 times, so I used NEWNAME:OLDNAME to eliminate confusion.&nbsp;&nbsp;That didn't do it either, unless I missed a reference.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am so sick of looking at the report, I probably couldn't see it if it poked me in the eye.<br><br>If you can think of anything else, let me know.&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks for your time.<br>alley

so you're saying that you want to be prompted for <b>JobNo</b>, but only in certain situations, and only once?<br>And you are also prompted for <b>StartDate</b> and <b>EndDate</b>, which then brings up the <b>JobNo</b> prompt?<br><br>it seems like the query supporting your report is actually the problem, or more specifically, the way in which you set the parameters.&nbsp;&nbsp;if you removed the <b>StartDate</b> and <b>EndDate</b> parameters from the query does the report run properly (except for the date issue)?<br><br>maybe if you explained a little more what your report was running.<br><br> <p>Brian Famous<br><a href=mailto:bfamous@ncdoi.net>bfamous@ncdoi.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Do the reports have underlying queries, and if so do the queries run OK if you launch them directly?

To all:<br><br>Thanks for your responses.&nbsp;&nbsp;All this may be in the relationships.&nbsp;&nbsp;Too few are useless, but too many can be disastrous.&nbsp;&nbsp;If I figure this out, I will post a tip<br><br>alley

In the seven or so years of using Access from 1.1 to 2000. I have found that creating realationsips hamper my productivity.<br>I Do Not use them at all period.<br>I also never use a Primary Key.<br>If you use a Primary key and have a subform and a main form looking at the same datasource. Access in all of its wizdom will &quot;Always&quot; create a Child/Master link between them.<br>Even if you remove it Access will put it back.<br>I use Subforms all the time tied with SQL to find data of any kind.<br>The end user keys a few characters in one or more search boxes then clicks a find button.<br>The subform brings up the results and the user then picks the item he/she wants to work on.<br>Which the main form then is book marked to.<br>This will not work if you have a Primary Key.<br><br>I do use Index on fields if necessary.<br>Or I add an &quot;Order By&quot; to my SQL statement.<br><br><br>

If the problem is that the query includes jobno, but you don't need it, why not do a new query that doesn't include jobno and use that as the report's datasource.<br><br>If you have to have jobno for the data to work, then you should probably dim a qdf object in code and set the parameter for jobno in code before opening the report.<br>

Did you check the Sorting and Grouping button in the report design view? It may be hidden in there as a sort field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back