Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Undesirably low quality TIF printing - any suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGS2003

Technical User
Jun 5, 2003
GB
I'm using Quark Passport 4.1. I have an RGB TIF file (also tried CMYK version ... same result), 300 DPI, which I am trying to print as part of a page layout from Quark. When printed from Photoshop the image looks fine, but Quark will only print out a low-quality, blocky version of the TIF.

The image is over 13Mb in filesize, and I would expect that when printing from Quark it would pause in order to get that info from the file itself, but it doesn't. The print just flies through, leading me to believe that the pplaceholder image that Quark created as part of the QXD file is being printed, rather than the TIF itself.

Can anyone tell me what would cause the placeholder to print instead of data being retrieved from the TIF file itself? Or any other reasons why this might be happening? It's driving me nuts ... I have seen this happen when imported files have been scaled, rotated or flipped in Quark, but never when a file has simply been imported.

Any help would be much appreciated ... I have a number of 'dependants' who are in much need of this info - they also would be eternally grateful!

Have you fully checked your print dialog? You have the option of printing full resolution or draft quality images. You probably have it set on low-quality printing.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

No ... the dialogue has a lot of greyed out functions (I'm using an EPSON C84 printer, and it seems to remove quite a lot of the printing options), but the print quality is set to normal (that's the higest of the three settings).

I've been over the print settings with a fine tooth comb ... nothing.

Could it perhaps be something to do with the fact that there MAY be images of different resolutions within the document? I read something about that in another post, and some tests I have conducted myself would seem to suggest that using files of different resolutions may cause some images to appear as MEGA bad quality when they actually aren't.

Since you are using a non-PostScript printer, consider converting your Quark document to PDF and printing from Acrobat. Acrobat is much more forgiving when printing to non-PostScript printers.

- - picklefish - -

But don't you need Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Distiller in order to output as PDF ... ?

Needless to say, I don't.

It 'could' be the version of the TIFF file is too new? Can you try backsaving the image...

Kind Regards
Duncan

How can you save a TIF in Photoshop with backwards compatibility?! I was under the impression that (with a few options) a TIF is a TIF is a TIF ...

??

I don't believe it's quite as simple as that...

Do you have an earlier version of Photoshop or could you get one test image to someone who could save it in an earlier version?

Do you have LZW compression turned on?

Kind Regards
Duncan

It was saved from Photoshop 5.5, and it doesn't use LZW compression. Even if it did we have the LZW compression Xtension loaded to handle it.

I thought the only options you could use with a TIF image were Mac or PC coded, and LZW compression. So where does a TIF 'version' fit in with this?

No Acrobat? No problem...

Save the page as an EPS from Quark. Open the EPS in Photoshop at full resolution. If the image is still blocky, the problem can be narrowed down to Quark. If the image is fine, scrap your printer.

You may also look at free PDF generators like GhostScript.

- - picklefish - -

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think the best plan of action I can see is to get a copy of Acrobat (thanks for the GhostScript suggestion - - picklefish - - but I think my IT admin would erupt if I downloaded and installed it!).

There are no alpha channels in the TIF, Duncan.

Cheers for all the help.

I would recommend a heart to heart talk with your IT admin about your hardware/software requirements. It seems odd that your company would spend so much on Quark XPress Passport but only give you a C84 printer.

I'm not bashing C84: you just need some extra software or a PostScript-capable printer.

- - picklefish - -

I don't work for a 'company' (at least that's what they keep saying ... ) I'm a lecturer in Further and Higher Education. We have an HP LaserJet 4200n as well as EPSON C70s and C84s, so we do have postscript capabilities ... but only in greyscale.

I was just hoping that it was something I could fix with settings ... spending money is something that doesn't come easily to us in edumacation : )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back