Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Underwater gurgling sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

suncity

Technical User
Jan 11, 2005
US
Dell 3000, with SoundMax. Drivers reinstalled from Dell drivers disk. Worst part: intermittent - happens if computer left on, unattended for over 20 minutes or so. On reboot, clear sound recovers. Occasionally happens spontaineously, but less often since driver reinstallation.
Could some process be competing for the CPU?
Computer clean, no virus (AVG) or spyware (MS Spybot) or ads (Ad-aWare). Also cleaned with System Mech5 Pro "clean" function (like bleach for your computer).

it sounds like a wire or something touching your cpu fan or chassis fan. when pc is cold, it contract and the wire is stiff. when it gets warm, the wire expands, and gets softer, and touches one of the fans, check the wires.

Sounds to me like something is writing to the sound drivers buffers.

What happens if you just logout/login?
Have you tried looking for updated drivers? They might fix the problem.

Did this machine ever have one of those 'aquarium' type screen savers installed?

[blue]smah[/blue]
Did this machine ever have one of those 'aquarium' type screen savers installed?

Now there's a thought - good lateral thinking smah!

Hi,
smah

Good thought..That was my first guess - especially if you have the power settings such that the monitor is off - you would just hear the bubbles..

Hope suncity lets us know..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

The gurgling is more raspy static than a recording of bubbling water. No, no aquarium installed. That sound would probably always make me want to take a leak anyway.

I only reinstalled drivers few days ago -- sounds better, but still recurs occasionally. Which suggests "driver related" issue. Haven't had chance to log off/on yet to reveal any pattern... which often yields clues.

The wire idea is interesting. Wires have so much slack, hard to imagine this is cause. But I'll be opening case to install another 1GB card soon, so I'll check for wires in contact with fan, etc.

My next step will be to find if updated driver available from Dell or SoundMax. I had reinstalled the one on CD which came with computer.

Thanks for many ideas!

There WAS a new driver, AND updated Media Player 10.
I installed both.

Only time will tell now since problem is (was?) intermittent. Just gotta wait a while to see if gurgle recurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back