Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Understanding Oracle Trigger Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

john9

Programmer
May 31, 2002
US
I have been studying the Trigger process. It is my understanding the Oracle commit action must first occur to make the new row available. Is this correct? I am creating a DataMart schema that will capture data (in real time) being inserted into a different database. Do I need to set up a scheduled event (at the end of the day) to load the new rows
into the DataMart?

When user A adds row to a table, the rows becomes available for user B to see only after user A issues commit command. If there is a trigger associated with insert operation against this table it will fire as part of transaction.

If you would like to capture data in the DataMart schema in real-time than you may need to set up replication process that will capture data changes occurring in another database and write them to DataMart schema. This is simplified answer and you should check Oracle documentation available on-line for more details. If you do not need new data to become available immediately in the DataMart schema then you can schedule a job to run at the end of the day via DBMS_JOB package (Of course you will to write a package/procedure that will copy new data via database link). Again you need to check Oracle documentation for more details.

Hope this will help you to begin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back