Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Understanding a barcode

Status
Not open for further replies.

scc

Programmer
Apr 30, 2001
US
I have a barcode. It is used to add a record to a program. I tried creating one, with no sucess.

Here's my question... is there a way to tell what barcode language this barcode is using and what control characters were used to create the barcode?

TIA

1st. Did you get the scanner as part of the package from a 3rd party?
2nd. If you scan their original barcode into Notepad do you see any extra characters?
Watch the screen to see if the cursor moves somewhere down a line or ???
Are you creating this in a Barcode Program or using a Font?
The first thing is to determine the type of barcode.
Code39 or 3 of 9
Code128
UPC or EAN
Interleaved 2of5
All barcodes can not be created just by typing the characters on a keyboard if you are using a font. Code39 Requires an Asterisk in front *12345*
If you are using Word you have to shut off the Autoformat for Bold in Word
Look in “Tools” menu then “AutoFormat” then click the “Options” button and un-check the box *Bold* … (there are two places on those screens!)
Cde128 requires a sophisticated Algorithm.

DougP, MCP, A+

Here's my issue... I need my scanner programmed so that after it scans a barcode for a package tracking number, it then tabs to the next field. (So the scanner does a tab after each scan.)

That is working like it should when entering data for an individual record (often there are multiple fields that need to be completed with multiple scans.)

However, when it is now time to add the record to the database, I need it to add the record and then be ready and waiting at the top of the next form to scan the next package's tracking number.

So the company we bought the software created a barcode for me... hasn't provided the language they used or the commands they used to create it. However, when I use the one they sent, it does add the record (yeah!), but then it tabs down to the second field on the form and isn't ready for the next scan.

So using an old DOS program called Barcode Anything, I tried to create the barcode to add a record, which I used to create barcodes for the building codes in Extended 3 or 9. I couldn't figure out how to program the <enter> command to add the record and make it work in the application... (I just end up with junk like $M in the field and it then tabs to the next field (never enters the record).

I used Extended 3 of 9 (Code 3 of 9 wouldn't allow me to do this) and put in the commands for a carriage return - line feed. However, I did not use and *'s before or after. (I just looked at the program again and Code 3 of 9 won't let me put in an * or a \ to create a control character and Extended 3 of 9 shows the *'s as being human readable.

Any ideas?

TIA

I guess you know why its Tabbing, becasue your scanner is programmed to add a TAB after everything.
The scanner can probably be reprogrammed to add a TAB to just a Code39 and not to anything else.
Or to everything else and not to the one they made you provided we know what it is of course.

Also need Brand and Model# of Scanner
Should be a sticker on it somewhere usally under the even scan engine.

DougP, MCP, A+

what kind of a scanner are you using?

knoweldge is power, spread the power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back