Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Underlining Text - Flash 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

I'm having difficulty underlining text. I hunted Google last night and found two methods, neither seemd to work.

1. change text to 'Dynamic' click the old shevrons <> and then use Markup in the text, so I edited the text box, added <u></ul> tags, but it just displays the tags as characters not underline the marked up text.

2. The other method is to create another layer and draw a line, which I did, and all looked fine, only when the Flash is published the line isn't displayed where I drew it?

When I view the Action Movie and edit it, it looks fine and is under the text I want pefectly, publish to flash and it's an inch away?

What am I doing wrong and why is there no (U) button like there is for (B)old and (I)talic?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Google Rank Extractor -> Perl beta with FusionCharts

It would seem that people don't underline things in the world of Flash - odd but true.
get away, you're yanking my chain, surely?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Putting it in HTML tags usually works but you have to set the movie clip's HTML property to true, for it to work.

ie
Code:
txt_field.html = true;
[/code

Keith
[URL unfurl="true"]www.studiosoft.co.uk[/URL]

hmm, the web page I found made no mention of that, they said you simply change the text type to 'dynamic' and click the <> chevrons to say 'display as HTML'.

I'll have to wait till I get home before I can play some more and try your little demo.

Well I can't work it out.

I created a new layer , named it actions, created the folowing code
Code:
HomeText.html = true;

published to flash and the text still shows the markup tags, here is a screen shot... note layer 8 is highlighted as I currently have the text box selected and that's what layer it is on. I also notice the textbox layer won't allow you to add any Action Script?

PCB_Flash1.gif

The only way I can get the words I wan't underlined is by underlining the words below it...

PCB_Line1.gif

Which then when published shows correctly...

PCB_Line2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back