Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Underlay hiding lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnice9

IS-IT--Management
Apr 29, 2003
US
I added a second page header, inserted a picture "logo.jpg", checked Underlay Following Sections on the section expert tab and adjusted it to fit the details section. All this works just fine.
The problem is that the vertical lines I placed to create columns and seperate detail fields do not show through the image but the data does. Selecting foward for the line does not work
Any suggesstions are appreciated.

C.Nice
RealTime Information Technology Inc.

Sounds like you are trying to create a watermark. I experienced the same problem a while back. The only way to deal with it is to use a text object and set one of the borders to the desired size. For horizontal lines, set either the top or bottom border and stretch to the desired length. For Vertical lines, set either the right or left border and stretch to the desired length. These borders will show over the top of the image.

~Brian

One thing that I forgot to add was that you can't drag text objects across multiple sections. You can, however, create an additional page header section, make the height as high as you need for one page, then create a text object with the left or right border set to say single. You would then need to set underlay following sections. To space it on the page properly, you could add another page header section in between the seciton holding the watermark, and the section hilding the vertical text box border and NOT set the Underlay Following Sections. This causes the text box to begin further doen the page.

I know this a little cumbersome, but at least it will get you around your problem.

~Brian

Thanks for the reply, I did try that but what I get looks like this:

Details ! data ! data !
! data ! data !

This makes the data look bracketed at best as opposed to continuous lines forming columns. I might be able to getaway with alternating background colors for rows but they are also hidden by the watermark. I Guess it will just have to be an image and no lines or lines and no image.

Chris

C.Nice

Thanks for the reply, I did try that but what I get looks like this:

Details ! data ! data !
! data ! data !

This makes the data look bracketed at best as opposed to continuous lines forming columns. I might be able to getaway with alternating background colors for rows but they are also hidden by the watermark. I Guess it will just have to be an image and no lines or lines and no image.

Chris

C.Nice

I can send you the sample I threw together that works off the Xtreme Sample database if you like.

~Brian

Thanks, but I got it. You can actually create the text objects and format the borders right on top of the image in the page header which is set to underlay. It was a bit tedious but it works. Thank you very much for your help. Oh and sorry about the previous double post.

C.Nice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back