Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Undeliverable email...new scam??? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfhewitt

Technical User
Jun 6, 2000
US
I seem to be getting many "undeliverable email" messages, relating to emails I never sent. The message suggests a link to find out the details, which I obviously won't fall for. Is this some new scam??? I got about ten today.

It's probably some worm-infected machine sending emails with your return address.

You're right -- that link will almost certainly be dangerous.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

I have the same problem but not as great a number of messages. How can I determine what worm infected machine is sending messages with my return address?

You are probably not going to be able to find out what machine is sending them. Just realize that usually, the infected machine will ultimately be cleaned up or put out of its misery, and the spoofing will (hopefully) end.

Sawedoff

Been getting them too and as three of us use the same home computer its a little hectic.......still everyone has same intructions.....DELETE dont open

Me too just sitting waiting

Cheers

Merry Part and the Brightest of Blessings

With respect
Wicca
-----
IF you think you can
Or if you think you can't
Then you are probably right
-Henry Ford

Sometimes I send E-Mails to a valid E-Mail address and I get the message saying it could not deliver it, but then I get a reply from who I sent it to later in response to my E-Mail. Could this be the same thing???

--TheProgramer--
C++ Programer since 2004.
You can contact me at:
theprogramer2004@yahoo.com

No, usually, you will get an email from a server saying it has not been able to deliver the message during the last 24 (or 12, or 8 or whatever) hours.

This is a courtesy to you, just to let you know that the person has not received the email. However, it usually also says that it will continue trying to deliver for the next 72 hours or so.

Many times, during that period, the destination server is brought back up to accept your email, and delivery takes place at that time.

Sawedoff

Thanks!

--TheProgramer--
C++ Programer since 2004.
You can contact me at:
theprogramer2004@yahoo.com

If you right click on the e-mail and check options, not open, it will show you where it's from. It should show the ip address, so you can go to DNS Stuff and find out who owns the ip.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin check out Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back