Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Undeletable file

Status
Not open for further replies.

jatha

Technical User
Dec 2, 2002
US
I have been infected from an Italian site by a bad site dialer which I cannot delete, because it is in use by another file. Norton Anti-Virus does not identify it as a threat, and Norton Internet Security 2003 has not caught it dialing out. Can I identify the other file using it? If so, can both files be deleted simultaneously, if the other file is not a system file? Can the connection to the other file be severed? The OS is XP. Suggestions would be appreciated.

try loading adaware and scanning for spyware.
get a trojan detector too.
if you know what files are the ones in use. then you might want to delete them (do not ddelete system files!), then you could always boot into safe mode and delete the files/folders manualy. also goto run and try msconfig.
look for things that don't look right and get rid of them that is what i believe to be correct.
if it is not, let me know so, i can expand my brain power

What's the name of the dialer? Did you try removing it from safe mode? Is it called openme.exe? If so press ctrl + alt + del and end task on openme.exe and then delete it. If it is openme.exe Ad-aware will get rid of that particuliar dialer for you. Spybot might get rid of it too so try it. Both are free.

If neither of those programs gets rid of it then tell us what's checked under msconfig's startup tab. (start--run--type msconfig--ok) Also tell us what's listed when you press ctrl + alt + del.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back