Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uncoupled Disk Encryption

stanlyn

Programmer
Sep 3, 2003
US
Hi,

I am looking for an disk encryption solution that is uncoupled from any specific vendor or OS. If a TPM module is used, it must not be at the motherboard layer. It can exist on the disk or at the pcie card layer. The kays are not to be saved at the motherboard or card layer. The keys must be presented to the os from a removable flash drive and only needed for bootup, Once booted, the flash drive will be removed from the building and the drive contents will be encrypted and unencrypted as usual, until a reboot.

I remember doing this long ago with BitLocker. That solution was coupled to the motherboard. I'm looking for a solution where the coupling follows the disk (embedded or card), regardless of the computer/motherboard make and model. This would mean that the disk and controller card along with the flash disk must all be connected before gaining access to the data.

What should I be looking at to achieve this, in terms of parts and equipment?

Thanks,
Stanley

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back