Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unconnected site to join domain later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuna3

IS-IT--Management
Jan 25, 2007
CA
I'm bringing up a server 2003 site with about 30 users right now; it's still not connected to the domain, due to routing issues. Everything is set up as "workgroup" at this time, but now I want to set up backups, and need to protect the shares on the desktops. The only way I can think of is to set up a domain within this site, and set up permissions accordingly. I will be adding this site to our domain within a month or two, and am wondering if I can set it up with the same domain name as the domain I'll be adding it to. Would this be a good or bad thing to do as far as making the domain addition later on?

Lowell Barkman. MCSE,A+. Network Administrator-Nunatsiavut Government.

You're going to run into problems using the same domain name once those two are on the same network.

Curious as to why it's going to take two months to resolve a routing issue?

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

This is the North-we have to wait that long for the routers to thaw out so we can use them...just kidding!
I'll have the routing issues resolved before then, but I have my wrk cut out for me on a number of other issues; our sites are widespread and can only be reached by plane; weather conditions can easily mean that a one-hour flight out to a remote site could take a week to accomplish. We're only now finally getting remote admin set up, and of course that will help bunches...

Lowell Barkman. MCSE,A+. Network Administrator-Nunatsiavut Government.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back