Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unclearable connection files locked 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauw

IS-IT--Management
Mar 31, 2004
US
Hi,
I'm a new Novell User (6sp3) with 4.90.0.1 SP1a clients and I frequently have this issue.
After a brutal shutdown of a station, the connection stays open on the server and I can't clear it using the console ("clear station n" replies connection already cleared(also tried with login disabled)) and still shows the connection and the files it locked. Using the monitor, no result I mark (F5) the connection and clear it (DEL), I answer Yes to the prompt and nothing happens.
A little help from you would be highly appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi fedayn and all the other members who tried to help me.
Reboot the server has finaly been the solution we applied. It works. We had tried before that to dismount the driver and it had failed. I've been told that the problem is generated by an Excell bug. Did you heard about it and do you know how to fix it ? I'm not an uptime freak but I'm never pleased to reboot a server when there is another solution to fix an issue. Thanks again.

I try not to use Excel.

That's a bugger to fix, and it sucks to have to reboot the server, but generally you can trace it down to a problem on the workstation.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Hi,

Got the same problem, locked files can only be removed via portal, volume management, browse to the files, and click on propertytab (question mark next to file), you can see a user is locking the file, you can unlock, and then delete. When lots of files you will have a hard job....but better then reboot....

Yes.
It's what I expected as a gooooood answer.
Notice that I'm an unexperienced Novell User and didn't know that it was possible to manage my server via a Web Portal (shame on me). Thanks a lot for leading me to the right way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back