Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UNC server name, HELP PLEASE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbaggio

Programmer
Jun 11, 2002
US
Ok, VB will read the path name \\something\drive-m\dir ok, but i need to have the full name so people on another network can run prog. When i try to use its full name, i.e. \\something.here.domain.com\drive-m\dir I get an invalid path error.

Is there something i am doing wrong? How can i fix this, or is there some other way i can use the full UNC name.

Any help will be grealy appreciated

robbaggio

Use the server name- then the drive.

If I have a server named "ServerA" and it has a directory on it called "Home" then I would code it:

\\ServerA\Home\file.txt

As long as the machine running the code has access to that server, directory etc. it will find it.

If the people running the program cannot access that server because they are in a different domain or something then you have a network administration issue.

that is what i did:
\\something.here.domain.com\drive-m\dir

something.here.domain.com is my server

drive-m\dir is my directory

so i dont really understand why that doesnt work?

anybody know why?

robbaggio

i get a :
Runtime Error '76'
Path not found

and i now this path will work, because i used the exact same path as an argument for a DOS program and it ran correctly

so i dont know whats going on

robbaggio

hmmm, now that i look again, the dos program didnt run correctly. it didnt give an error, but it didnt do anything.

It should work though, because that is the right server and directory info.

robbaggio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back