Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unbound text box is repeating on all of the other records

Status
Not open for further replies.

noahaz

Technical User
Aug 15, 2005
US
All information I type in on my 1st Record in an Unbound text box is repeating on all of the other records in my form. I am trying to create a different job on each page and in the unbound text box I would like to enter a description of the job. So each record needs to stay empty until I write the description.
Thanks,
Noah

This sounds like a design issue, there may be some complicated code to continue you along your path and perhaps some complex reasoning behind it, but life in Access would be a whole lot easier if you just created bound fields instead. Create the field at the table level and add to your form.

How do I make the bound box able to enter text.

All bound fields start "empty" ready to be typed into. Dependng upon the data type set at the field level, which most likely would be "text" type. Unless I'm missing something here, just start typing, the field and record is automatically saved....

I can type into it in design view but I want the user to be able to type in a job for each record in the form view.

This textbox must be bound to a corresponding field in the form's underlaying query.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Once the field is added to the table then the field should be added to the form from the field list box, which will allow the information that is put into the form to be stored in the table, is this correct?

You can "add" an unbound combo box to your form, using the tools wizard. You bind it to a data set thusly: In the combo box properties window under the data tab, Select table/query for Row Source Type. Click Row Source and then click the ellipsis (...) Add the table to the QBE grid that you want to use to populate your combo box. Drag the fields you want to include in your combo box--usually one or two--into the query. Include the key field. Close that query and return to your form.

In the combo box properties window - Control Source (just above the two above) enter the key field name for the table you used for the query. All you have to do is set your Column Count to the total number fields used in the query and adjust the Column Widths--usually the key field column is set to 0".

If you're adding new info, then you need the event procedures to handle that. Check some of the forums, I am sure it's been posted previously.

Hope I answered your question.

Mary

I made the box bound and added a corresponding field to the forms underlying query but now I am getting this error:
"The OLE object is empty.
you can't edit a bound object frame if the field in the underlying table doesn't contain an OLE object. Embed or link an OLE object into the bound object frame using the Object command on the Insert menu.

I forgot to mention that the reason that your info was repeated is that you did not have Control Source named in the combo box property window--it's your key field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back