Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unavailable fonts 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilweet

Technical User
Aug 23, 2001
CA
Hi all,

I'm using Adobe FrameMaker 6.0 and when I open a *.fm document, I always receive the following message:

'Document named xyz.fm uses unavailable fonts. To reformat the document using availale fonts, click OK.'

This gets very tedious when you have a book containing 20 documents. Even after installing all available fonts onto my machine, I still get this message.

Does anyone know why this problem occurs and more importantly, how I can fix it?

Thank you

Whenever you open a document that calls for a font that's not installed, FrameMaker creates a Console window as well as putting up the message. If you look in this Console window, you'll see exactly which fonts are missing. The easiest solution is to install them if they're available to you. If you don't have them or don't want them, then you have to find out where they're being used in the document. There are a number of things to try...

Method 1: In FrameMaker, close the problem file. Then go to File > Preferences and make sure that "Remember Missing Fonts" is NOT checked. Then open the problem file again. FrameMaker will replace all missing fonts with Times Roman.

Method 2: This approach has several parts.
(a) In FrameMaker, go to File > Preferences and make sure that "Remember Missing Fonts" IS checked. Open the problem file. Display the Find dialog (Ctrl-F) and choose Character Format from the dropdown list in the Find field. This pops up a dialog. If it has values in it, press Shift-F8 to clear all the fields (you may have to fiddle with the point size to get rid of it). Then choose the first missing font from the Family drop down. (It will be light gray, since it's missing from your system.) If the missing font has other properties such as Angle or Weight, make those settings. Then search the body pages and change any instances you find. Then search the Reference pages and Master pages. The missing fonts can be there, too. Note that rather than changing individual instances, you can just change the tag definitions that use the missing fonts.
(b) Save the doc, close it, and then open it again. If the problem is still there, use the Paragraph Designer and the Character Designer to look for tag definitions that use the missing fonts and change those tags to use available fonts.
(c) Again, save, close, and reopen the document. If you still have the problem, look through the variable definitions and cross-reference definitions to see if any of them include a character tag that uses the missing fonts.
(d) Save, close, and reopen the doc again. You still have the problem? Then it's probably in a table. FrameMaker tables have a horrid way of remembering fonts *forever*. The table definitions can include default fonts that aren't actually visible or used. At this point, you'll probably have to save the file as MIF and search the MIF file in a text editor to find references to the missing fonts. I won't go into detail here. If all else fails and you need more info on MIF, post again and I'll try to help.

Good luck!

-Rhea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back