Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unauthorized changes to Zonealarm settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

indytshooter

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
US
I've been using Zonealarm since it came out on all the computers in our office. The version now running is 3.1.395. Recently, there have been three instances where the program permissions have automatically changed from allowed to ask or deny (including ZoneAlarm's program). It has the smell of a virus but Norton Anti-Virus reports no viruses or quarantines that I haven't already fixed, spybot hasn't detected any spyware, no new programs, etc., etc. Any clue what could be changing these settings??? (I've read that newer trojans can masquerade as a trusted program but wouldn't norton catch these?)

To eliminate the posibility of a virus, run an online scan, most of the website's of the antivirus programs have a free online scan facility, visit . Also check the posibility of experincing abnormal shutdowns, which forces the system restore to run at startup, restoring previous installation defaults of all recently installed programs. I would recommend that you set your ZoneAlarm programs settings manually and reboot, then create a system restore point.
Regards
Roberto

Dear all,
I have just recovered from a virus infection from an email attachment that was downloaded by a family member the name of the file escapes me at the moment but I did notice when I was asked how the File could be opened, that in the message pane at Hotmail the file had 2 extensions as in the following:
.doc.pif
I was too late as the family member had already right clicked it and down loaded it to the desktop and double-clicked it (twice).

I immediately noticed that ZoneAlarm had gone from the Systray and when I tried to start it again, it appeared and then almost immediately disappeared.

I ran a Virus check (with AVG updated 2 days ago thank goodness) and it identified and healed 2 infected files with .pif extensions.
My reason for posting, is to warn people to get their virus program updated NOW and to make a point not to choose:
Hide file extensions for known file types
in Windows explorer

To do it in Win98
Go to:
Windows Explorer|View|Folder Options and then to the View Tab and see the box to the left of:
Hide File extensions for known file types
Make sure this does NOT have a tick in it!
good luck
and

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Dear all,
Spoke too soon, it was a bugbear virus attack & it infected MSnotepad.exe MPlayer.exe Outlook express and Adobe Acrobat 4.0 to such an extent that they were all unable to be healed and had to be moved to the Virus Vault.
I ran a scan with AVG and it picked up all those and a couple of others that it couldn't heal or move.

1. Windows\System\QMGVMQV.DLL
2. Windows\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\QIEX.EXE

Both these had to be deleted in DOS...
I then scanned the whole system again and hopefully no Virus detected and at 2:15am I am now free! (for the moment)
Good Luck all
and

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back