Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unattended W2K to W2K3 DC upgrade 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 23, 2002
US
Is there an unattend file to do an unattended upgrade on a Windows 2000 domain controller? Are there any KB articles? Is this a supported approach?

Any ideas out there? I have found MS articles, but I am interested in people's experiences.

No - I already have a Windows 2003 DC and another Windows 2000 DC. Adprep has already ran successfully. The DC I am upgrading is the first DC in the domain which holds all FSMO roles, DNS, DHCP, and WINS, as well as my TS license server.

If it were me...

1. Transfer the FSMO roles, WINS, and DHCP to the 2003 DC.
2. Purchase and install 2003 Terminal Service licenses on the 2003 server
3. demote the 2000 box to a member server
4. upgrade it to 2003
5. promote it to a DC
6. install DNS, and anything else you want on it.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Time and resources are the issue. The W2K3 box will be demoted and used as a new TS Server once my domain is only 2003. My TS licenses are 2003 (just cuz that's all you could buy)

Even if it fails (understanding this is not what I want) shouldn't I be able to seize the FSMO roles, install DHCP, WINS, DNS, and rebuild the license server?

Is there a pressing reason not to do this other than putting all my eggs in one basket. I know this is a risk, but a recoverable one, correct?

Are there isues transfering WINS, DHCP, DNS from W2K to a W2K3 DC? I thought that was not a MS recommended way...

I doubt you're going to find any veteran Microsoft guy who would do an in-place upgrade of the DC holding all of those roles.

WINS and DNS aren't a problem. DHCP isn't either, if you dump it to a text file and import it on the other server.

But there is no way in hell I'd do the FSMO holder.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

OK - I have transfered all FSMO roles to the W2K3 Domain Controller. I have moved DHCP and WINS. I am working on DNS, but I am having trouble finding information on how to move this - I run active-directory intgrated DNS, how do I move this from a Windows 2000 DC to my new Windows 2003 DC?

Install DNS on the 2003 box, and make sure it gets a copy of the zones. Configure DHCP to give out that server as DNS. Then pull the plug on DNS on the other box.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

I would add that you need to make sure that you change the server LAN connections to use the new address for DNS as well.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

OK - all is good right now and running off the W2K3 box except terminal server licensing. Can I use KB273566 to move the license server database to the 2003 box? Basically this walks through copying the LServer directory. Once this is done I can upgrade the old 2000 box, move everything back, and re-build my next 2 servers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back