Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unattended installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

schandanam

Instructor
May 20, 2003
GB
I'm running Windows 2000 Server as a domain controller. I want to install about 20 client on Win2KPro. How can I do an unattended installation from a new client PC (blank HDD)?

I would install RIS on the server. Configure a PC with the progrmas and settings you want and image it to the Server. To do that run the RIS setup on the client. Once the image is created, the answer file is availabe. Modify the Answer file with the CD Key and computer settings. Then on the clients install the image from RIS.

You could also create a Network client boot disk. Enable a distribution share on the server. And run the Setup.exe program from the Servers CD \Support\tools. The setup program walks you through the creation of the answer file.

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Many thanks
How do you create a Network client boot up disk?..please

Hello
It´s possible to make the serverinstallation automated for a number of clients. You should extract the deploy.cab file (on win2000 server cd) onto you hdd. Here you can start the setup manager, who will guide you for this unnattended installation. You can here choose for exampel a number of clientmachines. The manager will give you three files :
unnattend.txt = the file with the answers.
unnattend.bat = the url to the installationfiles
unnattend.udf = the databasefile each host that you will install.

BUT, i personal would like you to make one standard client, and then sysprep.exe, and go with for instance ghost.exe to deploy the images of the standard client. Read more at this whitepaper ...

Best wishes
Jörgen
MCT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back