Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unattended install from "Bootable XP cd"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilopapa

MIS
Aug 20, 2001
US
Hi all, I understand about the "unattended install" using winnt.exe or winnt32.exe with an answer file but one can also put an answer file named "winnt.sif" in the floppy and the "bootable" XP cd will pick this up automatically for an unattended install. I wonder if one could put this "winnt.sif" in the image of the Boot CD for use as a Bootable Unattened install?
In the CD's root or I386?
Just a thought.

Yes, it is very easy to do. Copy the CD to your drive, change the file the way you want, then remake the bootable cd using CDRWIN and the boot.bin file that can be found around on the Net. There are lots of sites that explain this process out there.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, I have done all that but can't get it to start with the winnt.sif. It says it will automatically check the floppy but will it also check the I386 dir first for the winnt.sif?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back