Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unallocated partition space on d: drive 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwogs

IS-IT--Management
Aug 6, 2010
US
I'm running SBS 2003 Std on a Dell Poweredge 6400. I have 8 drives set in a raid 5 configuration (3 drives for the C: drive and 5 for the D: drive) with a c: drive containing the operating system and the D: drive containing data and other programs. When the system was initially set up, the system (and I'm not sure if it was the software or the hardware) only recognized 34.11 GB of each the two partitions. The D: drive partition area is actually about 136 GB, but only 34.11 is being used as active by the system and 102 GB is just sitting there ( can see the unallocated portion in the computer management console on the server). I'm sure it is something I did not know when the system was originally set up and thus the vast amount of unused space. I'm just not sure how to "graft" or activate the unused space on the raid 5 D: drive without either doing a swing migration to another machine with the portions properly configured or possibly backing up the D: drive and reconfiguring it and restoring the data. The card is a Dell PERC 3/dc 3/dcl. Overall, the system has been working just fine and has survived 2 or 3 drive failures without losing and data.
Any ideas?

Noveyron,
YOU ARE A GENIUS!! Worked like a charm!! I googled this ten different ways and did not see this article. I actually did diskpart from the comfort of my recliner. The partition was the remainder of the data partition D: and is now huge (for our uses 136+GB). On Monday I will be hailed as the conquering hero ... okay, probably not, they all expect things to work day in and day out..without fail. Thank you again, you made MY week.
rwogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back