Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to view the Tables in the Catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobg4u

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2003
CA
Hello,
I am encountering a strange problem in Impromptu: I am unable to add a New Database to the Catalog.And when I try to look at the Catalog tables (Catalog -> Tables ), Impromptu crashes.
Does anyone have a clue about this?

Thanks for the help

Bob

I had been researching on this.Does this have anything to do with User Rights on the machine that Cognos is running?
Cognos Admin is connecting to the database(based on a prev catalog) and is retreiving data, but I am unable to Add/Delete/Modify Table information on the Catalog. Looks like it is not allowing me to Modify the Catalog. Is this behavior related to the User Rights or to the Impromptu Configuration?

Please help.

Thanks

bobg4u,

So, what are you using: Impromptu user or Impromptu Administrator?

If you are using Impromptu User, you won´t be able to add new database.

[]´s

Mutino

I am using Impromptu Administrator Version 7.2

bobg4u ,

- First: Do you know if this catalog was made by Architect?
- Second: Are you in Root user class?

I´m waiting yous answers.

[]´s

I am not using Architect to build the catalog.
I am only using Impromptu Admin to create the catalog.
The version is 7.2, which we recently upgraded to.

Try to create a new catalog and check if you can look tables in this database.

Ok?

My problem is I am unable to create a catalog, as I am not getting a view of the database. I was trying to create a new catalog, when to my surprise I found that existing databases were not showing up. So, I tried ot create a new databse,but it was not saved. Then I went to an existing catalog, and tried to look at the tables so as to modify them, and Impromptu crashed.

bobg4u,

Hmm, I think you should reinstall Impromptu.

Try this.!

[]´s

We had Impromtu reinstalled,but the problem still remains.
Do you have any idea about how and where Impromptu stores the information about the databases,like the configuration file etc.?
We were using Impromptu 7.0 and then recently installed the 7.2 version.The problem started after that.

Did you install Iplanet?
You need to configure it.

Other option is create this catalog using Architect.

Try both.

Good luck.

[]´s

Mine locks up on one pc and not the other when trying to create a Simple List report and try to expand the folders in the query dialog box. ImpAdmin 7 ver 2. Trying different things.

CP [cook]

---------------------------------------------------------
Do you have any idea about how and where Impromptu stores the information about the databases,like the configuration file etc.?
---------------------------------------------------------
Database info is stored in the Cognos.ini file in the root of your Cognos folder.

Hi Bob
check for u have access to tables and views.follow the following procedure.
in the catalog
1. goto Tools->options->uncheck the retrieve the database tables when editing catalog
2.go to catalog->tables->edit->click retrieve tables
then check whether tables,views,synonyms checkboxes were selected or not.if not select those check boxes.
I think it will help you a lot
Thanks
Sai rao

Hi

Ensure you have logged in as Impromptu Administator i.e. user 'Creator' when you open the catalog. Try to add the tables

vittal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back