Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to use 'su' 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

simklibm

Programmer
Oct 20, 2000
SG
Hi

What could be wrong when I can login as super-user using 'root' at the login prompt,
but I was not able to use 'su' after I login as some other user.

Recently I have done some 'chmod', 'chgrp' and 'chown' on some of the files. Could
this be the problem or is it something else. Unfortunately, I cannot trace back what I
have done as there I too many file I have change.

Thanks in advance!!

Maybe that the path of the su - command is not in the path of the user

or

The su command ist turned off for regular users because of security considerations

or

you changed the access permissions of the su-command

hnd
hasso55@yahoo.com

Hi hnd

All your suggestion is untrue, the 'su' command can be executed, but the password
always is incorrect. I'm sure I have entered the correct password as I could login from
the login prompt. Thanks for your advice.

It is possible that you may have to be a member of a particular group. For instance on some BSD Unixes you have to be a member of the 'wheel' group. try adding yourself to the wheel group if it exists on your system.

--Digital-^

We need to know what version of Unix you are running.

Ged Jones

Top man

Hi

I am using Solaris 2.5.1 and I don't think there is a group 'wheel' in my system.

I got this message in the console window when I enter the password,

sun1% Oct 25 09:44:04 sun1 login: ROOT LOGIN ON console
Oct 25 09:47:35 sun1 su: 'su root' failed for simklibm on /dev/pts/2

One other possibilty:
You have reset the S-Bit from the su cmd

In this case the su-cmd will work, but because it is running under the access permissions of the user it has no access to /etc/shadow and will fail

hnd
hasso55@yahoo.com

Hi hnd

Solved it! Thanks a lot for your advice, u r good!

Have a nice day!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back