Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to use ie over new network

Status
Not open for further replies.

flasheart

Technical User
Feb 12, 2005
GB
Installed wireless adsl modem router for home network. Everything works OK apart from desktop PC cannot browse internet. It can access shared files from the laptop and can ping internet sites from CLI. Have tried firefox browser and IE6, both will not browse. What am I missing here???

flasheart,

I have same problem and I can not figure out a solution. Itseems as if my routeris not communicating with my cable modem.

Your router probably needs to be set up to talk to your ISP.
The settings that your computer was using to talk to the ISP gave you access. Your router needs the same settings as it is the communications device and you will no longer use them from your PC>

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Remoblades . my router has built in asdl modem, they're not seperate units. However if you find a solution let me know so I can try it.

Edfair.. My router is talking to my ISP, I'm writing this on my laptop connected wirelessly to the same router the desktop is.

JIM
Dont read the post properly, give the wrong solutions!

what about a tracert to someplace like tek-tips and compare the paths?

and what about winipcfg or command line ipconfig? differences?

And what OS?

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

An update....

I have tried various fixes, following forum threads that I have found, and articles from microsoft help (eg winsock fix, TCP/IP protocol repair, Updated to SP2. I also installed a pci network card so I could connect direct to the router by CAT5 cable. This didn't make a difference.
The fix that HAS made a difference was from microsoft. Basically it blamed corrupted internet explorer index.dat files. I followed the instructions and have got some internet connectivity back.
What happens now is that, after a reboot, starting internet explorer will access google (my home page). From here, I can search and can follow links from the results. E.g. to amazon.co.uk etc. I can then follow links within sites. I cannot, however, access other sites by using the address bar. This amount of connectivity does not last, after 5-10 minutes, the browser returns to its old habits and will no longer follow links. A reboot starts the browser working again as above.
I still have no idea why all this is happening, It now looks like an IE issue, not to do with the wireless modem/router. If anyone has any ideas how to resolve this I would be eternally grateful!!

bcastner...

Extreme thanks.
The desktops internet access now appears to work fine. I will update if it starts to play up again, but I'm over the moon that my wireless network now seems to be fully functional ... at last!

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back