Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Upload Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastavic

Technical User
Feb 21, 2003
US
For the past week and a half, I have been unable to upload any "physical" files. It can't simply be an "unable to upload" problem, because then my Internet simply wouldn't be working as packets wouldn't be able to get sent out. However, I cannot upload any files through my e-mail, FTP server, or even through my network connection. My roommate's (I live in an university dorm room) connection is perfectly fine, so I was thinking this is a Windows problem.

If any has ANY help at all, please let me know. I have no real idea of what the heck is wrong, and I'm utterly confused.

Thanks,
-=ViC

I started a new thread 'Unable to upload files | Part II' with my log and more information; maybe comparing the two can help us all.

I just finished scanning, and the message reads:
"Congratulations! HouseCall did not find any viruses in the files/disks you have scanned. For more information on computer viruses and full-time virus protection check out PC-cillin, available on-line and at computer retail stores."

I scanned all disk drives and files I had (my entire computer).

Ok run Hijack This again, This time just do a normal scan and remove the two entries that I noted above.

Then take a look at and remove any other entries from the scan that you think you do not need.

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

Was I supposed to go to
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
and delete "RunDll16.exe?" I did try that earlier, but I decided to export the RunServices folder first, and I'm glad I did, because after I deleted "RunDll16.exe" and restarted my computer, most of my programs (i.e. Internet Explorer, Mozilla, SmartFTP) failed to start. I merged the exported file back, and everything worked again.

-=MaStA ViC

Mastavic, If removing the entry above caused such a catastrophic problem then the Trojan has integrated it's self very well into your system.

That file is not a Microsoft File and is not needed for your system to run.

I have see the SubSeven Trojan in action before and it is very effective.

I would recommend backing up all your important data and then formatting and reinstalling Windows. It is unlikely that you are going to be able to sort this out very easily.

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

Perhaps a format will do me well. If only there was something else wrong with my computer, I would format it right away. This, although a very big problem, being the only problem my computer have makes me want to fix it and leave my computer the way it is right now.

Quick question (I know this isn't part of the uploading problem, and I'll make a new post if I have to, but...):
I have tweaked my computer a bit by going through a few registry files. I have been told it's a bad idea to back up registry files and import them back to a newly-formatted system because the files from my system before a format and after isn't the same. Any suggestions what I could do? (It's fine if there's no practical way to do this).

Thanks a lot for all your help already. I really apprecaite it.

What ever you do , don't import the whole registry into
a newly installed windows .
If you know the locations of this "tweak keys" export
only that branch , edit the xx.reg files to hold just the
modified key .Then maybe they are usable for importing .
But i dont recommend doing this .

Okay, it looks like I should be planning on a clean format soon. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back