Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to update public free/busy data

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbadler

MIS
Feb 28, 2001
US
I am receiving unable to update public free/busy data, whenever someone add's a calendar item to their computer. We are on Exchange 2000 with a windows 2000 Network. Fully Patched.

Thanks

Do you have another Exchange showing in your Exchange system Manager that is not running? Check under Monitor and Status section. I usually get such messages when there is one Exchange Server down.

This is what Microsoft knowledge base says:

CAUSE
The default permissions have been changed to None on the Schedule+ Free Busy public folder object on the Exchange Server computer. The default permissions are set to Editor permissions during installation.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem:
At the Exchange Server computer, start the Exchange Server Administrator program.
Click to expand Folders.
Click to expand System Folders.
Click to expand Schedule+ Free/Busy.
Click the folder for the server or site that is in question, and on the File menu, click Properties.
Click the General tab, and then click Client Permissions.
Under Default, click Role of Editor, and then click OK.
Click OK.

1. No there is only 1 exchange server

2. That Tech Article I believe only pertains to Exchange 5.5, I am on Exchange 2k

Thanks Anyway

how do I do this, where to I go -- start/programs or what?
This is what Microsoft knowledge base says:

CAUSE
The default permissions have been changed to None on the Schedule+ Free Busy public folder object on the Exchange Server computer. The default permissions are set to Editor permissions during installation.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem:
At the Exchange Server computer, start the Exchange Server Administrator program.
Click to expand Folders.
Click to expand System Folders.
Click to expand Schedule+ Free/Busy.
Click the folder for the server or site that is in question, and on the File menu, click Properties.
Click the General tab, and then click Client Permissions.
Under Default, click Role of Editor, and then click OK.
Click OK.

Dan Crandell

ok all I am getting this error too. Recently did a migration of ex 2000 to new server and old server crashed. The guy helping me says he can not delete the old exchange server from system manager because exch sp does not support it. We have to wait for exch sp4, which he says will fix the problem.

Is this correct? or something else I can do. My users are screaming about the popup "unable to update free/busy server"

Dan Crandell

I've taken Exchange servers offline before deleting them in ESM. This is in Ex2000 SP2 and SP3 environments. Was your migration from 5.5 to 2000? IIRC, there are additional steps for that.

Also, you may need to rebuild your Free/Busy info. This is not lightly done, as it requires a call to Microsoft PSS:

no I migrated 2000 to 2000 just was upgrading to a newer server and in the final mailbox moves the old server crashed. So the guy says he can not remove the old exchange server until sp4 comes out?

Dan Crandell

So in exchange manager I have the old server offline and the new server online. Everything is working great though, it is just the users are recieving this annoying popup.

Dan Crandell

I don't know of any specific reason for that, but maybe he does. I've never had a problem with deleting a server using ESM.

It's fastest if you do it on a computer with a good connection to your DC, as the deletion is happening in AD.

If you do come up with a reason why he's waiting until SP4, post it here, as I'd really like to know. I can't find anything in MS's kb.

well he said he had a friend at microsoft and that is what his friend has said.

Dan Crandell

I had this same problem on with our email system. I had help come in to upgrade our Ex 5.5 to Ex 2000, then I added two new Ex 2000 servers, and an Ex 2003 server as an OWA front end server. We were getting the "free/busy" thing all the time. I had to call Microsoft to look at another problem with the Ex 2003 server, and I decided to have them walk me through going to native mode on the Ex servers. Well, it turns out that there were some old Ex 5.5 connection items that were not cleaned up during the Ex 2000 upgrade. When we got rid of the offending 5.5 items, we were able to go to native mode, and never saw the "free/busy" thing again! So my advice: look for old 5.5 connector components and get rid of them (or any other 5.5 leftovers that can be cleaned out) and switch to native mode if all of your servers are Ex 2000.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back