Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to uninstall or install anything on NT 4.0 sp6

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgreen1977

Technical User
Jul 17, 2002
US
This past Friday I installed Backup Exec 9.0 on one of our Nt 4.0 file servers. It didn't run correctly so I tried to install the veritas service pack. The install barely got started then just sort of hung there, forever. No problem, I'll just uninstall Backup Exec. Nope, just hangs there if I try to uninstall. Ok, I had another piece of software I needed to install. It wouldn't install either. I take a look at the Windows Installer Service and try to start it up manually. It errored out and I ended up having to reboot. After that, the Windows Installer service was no longer listed. I went to Microsofts site and downloaded their installer for Winnt/2000. The installer won't install, it does nothing after you click on it. Okay. . . . Lets just run the service pack 6 again. It gets 99.9% done, then just hangs there. Any ideas? Can't seem to install or uninstall anything now.

Did you download and install a fresh copy of SP6? There was a problem with the original SP6, and SP6a was released, but it isn't easy to tell which you have loaded . Fred Wagner
frwagne@longbeach.gov

If you do start==>run==>winver

This will tell you if you have SP6A or not. It will display, "Revised Service Pack 6A". If you don't see this then as Fred said you may want to update to 6A

I am having the same type of problem with Nt4.0 Terminal Server sp6. I dont think you can put 6a on the TS.
My installer is giving me;

The Windows Install service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly install. Contact your support personnel for assistance.
Did you get yours to work yet.
Can anyone help me.

Are you logged in as 'administrator', or does the login account you're belong to the Administrators group? Sounds like it might be that kind of a problem...

Fred Wagner
frwagne@longbeach.gov

Hi guys!
I'm having the same problem as Dmasch.
I'm trying to install Mcafee VirusScan 7.1 corporate edition on a Windows Nt4.0 machine and it keeps coming up with the same message as Dmasch is getting. I'm running the Revised service pack 6a.
Any ideas on how to get the windows installer to work?

Regards
hmsr21

Just to give Dmasch an update regarding the problem that he is having with windows installer. I went on to the Microsoft Knowledge Base and found the cure for the problem.
As it is a bit of a lond winded process, I'll give you the website URL for you to go there and have a look at it.

Hope this helps!

hmsr21

Systems and Network Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back