Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to unencrypt files created on my own PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

shavon

Programmer
Jun 18, 2001
CA
It is not possible to decrypt this message because your keyring does not contain usable private keys corresponding to any of the above public keys.

This is the message I am getting when I try to unencrypt some files that were encrypted on the same PC. The files were sent to another location and then sent back to me. The other party received the same message.

I am using version 6.5.3. The keys have not been changed or deleted. Any assistance wiould be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I am just curious, can you encrypt a new file, just to see if that priece works.

I am just curious, can you encrypt a new file, just to see if that piece works.

To decrypt a file you need the private key, that fits to the public key that has been used to encrypt the File.

If this key is not available => No chance.

But if you want to encrypt for your own purposes then it would be more meaningful to use conventional encryption.

hnd
hasso55@yahoo.com

Q: Did you encrypt those files with your PUBLIC key or did you use someone else's public key?

If you used someone else's, then tough luck. You can only DECRYPT files that are encrypted with your public key.

AVChap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back