Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UNABLE TO TELNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmart738

IS-IT--Management
Jun 12, 2002
MX

Hi folks!!

I'm the manager of a server with solaris7 PC. It was working ok, however since yesterday i can't do telnet to that machine.

It just send a message that tell me: "Connection closed by foreign host"

I checked /etc/services, it contains a line with telnet 23/tcp

The process of inetd is up.

Anybody has an idea?

Thank's a lot!!

Have u tried to ping that machine?

Also if u are running DHCP on the unix server you may want to check the IP address ( ifconfig -a)

check this for me, will you?
the lines with the #'s are the commands, the other lines are the output from my solaris 7 machine.
Code:
# file /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
/usr/sbin/in.telnetd:   ELF 32-bit LSB executable 80386 Version 1, dynamically linked, stripped
# ls -l /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin      bin        25328 Oct  6  1998 /usr/sbin/in.telnetd

we were hacked at another site recently, and they destroyed a copule of files including telnetd.

Hi!!

The machine (PROBLEMATIC_MACHINE) response properly with ping. Also, i can do telnet to other machines(NOPROBLEMATIC_MACHINES), but doing telnet to the same machine (PROBLEMATIC_MACHINE) response with the message :
Connection closed by foreign host

I checked the commands, and i don't have problem, the permissions are ok, I don't know what to do :(

# file /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
/usr/sbin/in.telnetd: ELF 32-bit LSB executable 80386 Version 1, dynamically linked, stripped
# ls -l /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
-r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 25408 Apr 22 1:27 /usr/sbin/in.telnetd

I'm thinking to re-install telnet, however i'm not sure how to do it, how to re-install everything relationed with telnet and just that things..

And, I'm not using a DHCP. The machine has an static address.

Thank's in advance..

Hi,

Try check if your telnetd daemon is running. At the same time check if the daemon listen on port 23 by using netstat command. Last thing restart your inetd.

regards,
feroz

Just a thought !
also check to see that telnet is not REM'ed out in your
/etc/initd.conf file.

//ase

Hi!!

I checked that telnet is listening on port 23, I restarted inetd before and i can't see any problem :(.. It seems well!!

No, it isn't comment :(
I checked too in /etc/services, and it is without no comment

Thank's for your help!!

I resolved the problem, re-installing the package SUNWcsu from the CDROM..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back