Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to telnet in BayStack 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltslothrop

Technical User
Jul 15, 2004
US
Unable to telnet into a BayStack 350-24T. Able to console in with no problem.

* Attempt telnet from any machine on the network and receive can not open host or disconnected from host message.

* Able to ping the switch with no problem.

* Logs on switch show attempted telnet access, but logs state access denied.

* Switch is set to allow password access through the console and telnet.

There must be a setting I am missing.

Thanks!

From the main menu to go the Telnet Configuration screen. Make sure the IP address of the machine your trying to connect with is Allowed. You can allow a specific subnet or specific IP based on the IP addess and Mask. If you want a specific subnet allowed you can put in:

192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0
(assuming you want to allow anyone with a 192.168.1.x IP Ad)
Hope this helps.

The Telnet Configuration is set correctly with the source ip address and the subnet mask. Still no go.

The switch log states:
"Disallowed connection attempt from ip address...." and it states the correct ip address that it is trying to connect.

Anything else I should check?

Thanks for the reply!

In the telnet/snmp manager list try putting in 0.0.0.0 with a mask of 0.0.0.0 which would allow any IP address to connect. If that works its probably your netmask in that screen giving you issues, remember that its an ACL mask instead of a network mask per-say.

Other than that I suppose it could be some kind of issue in your version of microcode. Can you take the downtime to see if a reboot clears up the issue?

Tried the reboot first but this still didn't clear it up. So I zeroed out all the ip address and then tried another reboot and it worked.

I'm going to try inputting one ip address at a time with a reboot after each, but at least I know I can get it to work with no ip adresses.

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back