Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Swap CMDU 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dulfo666

Technical User
Jan 1, 2007
GB
Strange problem. Below is the capture from the screen:

>ld 137
CIOD000
.stat cmdu
CMDU 1 ENABLED (ACTIVE)
CMDU 0 ENABLED (STANDBY)
.swap
CIOD001 Invalid command
.stat cmdu 1
CIOD002 Invalid argument
.stat cmdu 0
CIOD002 Invalid argument

Now the question is why do I get Invalid command/argument ?

I am wondering if this is something new where you need the level 2 password to do the command. Might be worth a try.

Although, the TTY response sure doesn't make that clear.

GHTROUT.com | FAQs | Recent Replies

check both CPU status in LD 135 and check switch setting on CMDU, CP, CNI

The reason I would think Triton 101 wants the iss is to determine how old your switch is and what type of drives you are using. Are they IODUC and what release are the IODUC's and are both them at the same release ?
Try going to load 135 and do scpu and switch your cores then go to 137 and do a stat and see what is enabled and in standby.
Some times when drive units fail the core cpu's will still switch but the drive unit will not.

SCPU in the midnight has swapped the CMDUs.

A manual swap still fails with an invalid command.

Now, I know it is not the vintage of the switch or hardware, it is not the software releas or any new patches being installed onto the system.

I took this switch on about 2 months ago. I gave it a full MAT at the time, which included swapping back and forth. This issue only came to light last week when I tried to do a manual edd and bko. Both failed (that turned out to be damaged floppy disk). I, at that stage tried a swap and discovered the issue.

So my next stage is another SCPU so that both sides have had an ini. If that still fails, I will look at a sysload.

So everything switchs properly at midns. Great, maybe you can break it yet.

Mato' Was'aka

As far as I am concerned system is still broke.

If valid commands are not recognised, then the system aint working.

dulfo666, if you mentioned that it worked before on the same system then a lot of questions might have been avoided from others as well.

are all 81c that can run SR4.5

2621 had more issues then the others, 3321 with FIJI setup had issues as well.

As GHTROUT mentioned, try logging in with ADMIN2 instead of ADMIN1, see if that makes a diff.....

Triton101

dulfo666 (TechnicalUser) 1 May 08 11:00
phonz1.

Yes I know that you SHOULD be able to swap cmdus in ld 137. In fact about a month ago I did. Its just this week when I tried I get the error.

Rls 4.5 / Opt 81C

This was from early on.

You may have a terminal emulation problem, or a bad cable or even keyboard, if it swaps on its own, but you cant make it manually, then I'd look at that

dulfo666
I was referring to your Original post....knowing right from the start that this command worked on the same system a month ago would have given others more info, you mentioned it 16 posts down.....if it worked then and it does not work now, then what happened in the past month that might cause it?

"I am more than willing but would like to understand the reasoning."
my question was trying to identify the type of hardware you are running and the exact RLs of software....it helps in narrowing down things in general, just a generic question.

Good luck.

Our time is limited in the amount of time we can spend on questions and training isn't part of it. When we ask questions it is so we understand what the question really is , what is your equipment and we have no idea what your level of traing is. It took you longer to post someone's question back in Quotes, then is would have to have just answered the question and making that person look stupid because they didn't see it at wanted a clarifcation.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

I am not here for training. And suprisingly I do know my way around a Nortel PBX. What I am confused about is how a command that works one day, does not work the next.

I am now going to bring this thread to a close before we all get too heated.

have you looked into a bad keyboard, rs232 cable, or the other stuff yet? I got burned by a bad cable one time....

Before you close the thread, INI or Reload - if it worked one day and not the next, one of those will certainly resolve the problem - or identify it as hardware related...which is does not seem to be

GHTROUT.com | FAQs | Recent Replies

[bold]GHTROUT[/bold] Thankyou. I have been waiting for the switch off start again. Memory corruption is the only possible that I can see. Swapped CPUs and still the issue remains. We often forget that both the disks and memory sync. So corruptions move across. A scpu does nowt. Pwer cycle cleared it.

Getting time to do a full reset was the biggest issue.

Star to Triton101. Though we argued, he was arguing corrctly.

We had a similar problem the system would hang when we did an EDD or a BKO as for swapping I don’t recall if we had a problem. The cause of the back up trouble was the cable connecting a TTY port to another terminal became disconnected at the terminal. We disabled the TTYs that we weren’t using 1 by 1 and when the trouble went away we checked the terminal it was supposed to be connected to and viola problem solved. I know it sounds strange but hey give it a try what have you got to loose.

For all you that somehow missed it. Issue Resovled 5 post up.

dulfo666 (TechnicalUser) 3 May 08 15:42
[bold]GHTROUT[/bold] Thankyou. I have been waiting for the switch off start again. Memory corruption is the only possible that I can see. Swapped CPUs and still the issue remains. We often forget that both the disks and memory sync. So corruptions move across. A scpu does nowt. Pwer cycle cleared it.

Getting time to do a full reset was the biggest issue.

Mato' Was'aka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back