Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to submit jobs to ARCserve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurlach

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2001
GB
I have a Windows 2000 Advanced Server, patched and working fine, with a copy of ARCserve 2000 installed, again patched and licensed. However, when I try to submit jobs (as Administrator), then I get the following error message:
There are not enough rights for user administrator on server (then the server name) to complete this transaction. (EC=5)

All rights for administrator are set correctly on the drives, and are set like other servers that are working with ARCserve without a problem. I'd be very grateful to anyone who has an idea of how to resolve this!

There is a FAQ for patching Arcserve on this site.
This is a known problem if a patch is missing.

If you are submitting jobs remotely, the Arcserve on your station must be patched as well.

You say you are using an Administrator account - local admin, NT 4 domain account?

Did you change the permissions on the Arcserve$ share?

Did you read the Arcserve release notes for security? Look at all of the text documents in the Arcserve directories (.txt .me .wri .doc).

Jim P. Ames
jimpames@hotmail.com

I am submitting the jobs on the actual server, I have tried using the local administrator account, a domain administrative account, and ARCserve is patched completely.

I haven't tried using the NT 4 domain account, because as I said, I am using Windows 2000. No permissions have been changed.

The following information is from the Computer Associates relnotes.wri for Arcserve 2000, dated June 15 2000.
Copyright (C) 2000, Computer Associates. All rights reserved.
1.2.2 To create a user account with Windows NT/2000, the following steps are necessary:

1. Open the Computer Management program group and from the
console tree, in local Users and Groups, click on Users.

2. Click on Action, and then click on New User.

3. Type the appropriate information in the dialog box, set the password
and password expiration properties desired.

4. Click on Create and then click on close.

5. Click on the User account, click on Action and then click on Properties.

6. Click on Members Of tab and ensure the user is a member of the
Administrators and Backup Operators groups.

7. Click on OK to exit.

1.2.3 To modify a user account with Windows NT/2000, the following steps are necessary:

1. Open the Computer Management program group and from the
console tree, in local Users and Groups, click on Users. Click on the User account you want to modify.

2. Click on Action and then click on Properties.

3. Click on Members Of tab and ensure the user is a member of the Administrators and Backup Operators groups.

For Domain Controller please use Active Directory Users and Computers and follow the same steps above.

1.2.4 To change the ARCserve System account with Windows NT/2000, the following steps are necessary:

1. Open the ARCserve program group and double-click the ARCserve Server Admin icon.

2. Select ARCserve System Account... from the Admin menu.

3. Enter the user name and select the domain or computer for the user you just added in part 1.2.1.

4. Add and confirm the same password used in the Administrative Tools/User Manager.

5. Single-click "OK" to save and you are finished selecting the ARCserve System account.

1.3 When Windows 2000 servers report to a Windows NT Domain there is a conflict. By default, setup creates the shares and permissions necessary to do backup and restore jobs. However, when ARCserve 2000 is installed on a Windows 2000 machine that is a member server of a Windows NT domain, the shares/permissions may have to be manually created. If necessary, do the following:

1. Using Windows Explorer, go to PROGRAM FILES\ComputerAssociates.

2. Right click on the ARCserve folder and select Sharing.

3. On the Sharing Tab choose "Share this folder."

4. Click on the Permissions button and then the Add button.

5. Select the Domain and User. Click Add, then OK.

6. Under Permissions allow full control to the user. Click OK.

1.4 In previous versions of ARCserve, when creating a general user account to perform ARCserve functions, that account needed to be a member of the Backup Operators Group. However, with Windows 2000:
a) If Windows 2000 Server Only, not a PDC:
User account is required to become a member of both Backup Operators Group and Power Users Group.
b) If Windows 2000 PDC:
The account needs to become a member of the Backup Operators and Domain Administrators Groups.

1.5 ARCserve uses the Windows NT/2000 Registry to record its configuration.

1.6 For proper operation of the ARCserve Manager and Server components, the software must be installed to a machine and also run from the same machine. The software may not function properly when run from another machine via a drive connection.

1.7 While performing installation of ARCserve on a Windows NT/2000 machine with existing ARCserve/Unicenter TNG - ARCserve products, a message may appear, informing you to restart the machine. The reboot is needed in order to update some shared files that are currently in use. Please reboot the machine if this message is displayed, in order for ARCserve to update those shared files.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
3. ARCserve Manager

3.1 For Novell NetWare file servers, files and directories are backed up and restored as Windows 2000 files and directories; the Novell attributes, owner and trustee assignments are not preserved. In order to preserve the Novell attributes, and the owner and trustee rights, it is recommended that the user use the Client Agent for NetWare.

3.2 ARCserve will prompt the user for a default user name and password when submitting a job that includes remote resources (domains, servers or shares). ARCserve will access the remote resources using this account, unless the user specifies a different account for an individual resource.

When you specify the account to use, it may be necessary to distinguish between two accounts with the same name (such as Administrator) by indicating where Windows 2000 can find this account. To do this, specify the domain or machine that the account is part of as domain_name\user_name or machine_name\user_name. As an example, for a domain named NTDEV containing a workstation named ENGINEER, the respective administrators are

NTDEV\Administrator
ENGINEER\Administrator

Note: ARCserve cannot connect to the same remote resource under two different accounts. This will result in a SESSION CREDENTIAL CONFLICT error.

Jim P. Ames
jimpames@hotmail.com

Thank you James - I will check through all of this

Hi,
There necessary rights for the ARCserve$ share are the following :

- Full Control the Administrators group
- Modify for Backup Operators
- Read for Everyone

I've used this tip many times and it always worked fine.
Please note that this doesn't concern the NTFS security rights, only the permissions on the ARCserve$ share itself.

Hope this helps,
LST

Following through what James said to the letter has enabled me to resolve this problem, but these tips are useful also. Thank you very much for both of your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back