Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to start service as local account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zracer03

MIS
Jul 12, 2004
US
We have all of a sudden been having issues starting some services using the local system account. They have been working fine, and all of a sudden, they stopped. Now when we try to start the service we get a "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion". In the event log it lists an Event ID 7000 that says basically the same thing. What's odd, is that if I set it to use a domain account, it starts fine. Why are these not starting using the local system account? I need to get this resolved. Any ideas would be great, thanks.

Does the issue occur when the service is restarted after failing or is it on bootup? Error 1053 is a generic service control manager that is caused by a failing service. If you can't reboot the server, you can try restarting the service using an administrative account and then again try to restart it using the local system account. If doesn't respond (especially if it's multiple services having this problem), a reboot may be in order. Hope this helps.

Oddly enough, the service start when the Machine boots, but if we stop the service and start ir again, or just plain restart the service, it errors out. It's really strange. It has always worked fine. Every single service does this, which leads me to believe it's something registry related to the local service account or something, but we have been unable to find the answer. It does this even after reboots.

Sounds more like you have a "corrupt" service/application that's running that has many dependencies. Check the service to see what dependencies it relies on in order to work. If possible reboot the server with the service set to manual and try starting the services in turn. This might lead you to the problematic service/application that is causing all other services to fail. Hope this helps.

PS. What service is exactly is being affected? You could also check eventid.net for more information revolving around ID 7000

You can try to troubleshoot service faults using for example Security Explorer from Scriptlogic. I like its permission list feature which besides the standard logon account name that we define with services snap-in can list all permissions assigned to a service. So you can reveal that some services have no System account associated with them, some are accessed by users from the group Interactive, some can be accessed by ordinary users, some only by Power Users. Recently I resolved one problem by finding a broken inheritance or inheritance with suddenly changed permissions. I can track what's happening, reveal the origin and fix the problem even remotely. It possibly can help in revealing the root of problem in this situation too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back