Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to start Information Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

lost4life

IS-IT--Management
Jul 2, 2003
US
I have just installed a second Exchange server to our organization. I want to migrate users to the new server and make the original a front-end server. After installing exchange, I cannot get the information store and the MTA stacks to start on the new server. I did not run forest prep and domain prep before installing since we already have an 2k3 exchange server in our environment (maybe the problem?). Event logs show the following:

Event ID: 9098 - The MAD Monitoring thread was unable to read its configuration from the DS, error '0xc004038a'.
Event ID: 5000 - Unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service. - Error 0xc0040391
Event ID: 9538 - Error 0xc0040391 calling StrInitialize in REAPI.DLL

I tried to reinstalled exchange over the existing installation with same results. When I telnet on port 25 and type EHLO I get this: 454 Temporary EXPS-Authentication failure. Before I remove Exchange and reload the OS, I was hoping that someone might have some advise on fixing the issue.

Is that server a domain member?
Do you have an available domain controller?
Do you have an available global catalog server?
Are the Exchange services set as an exchange admin or local?

The server is a member of the domain and the domain controller and global catalog are available. Both the information store and mta stacks are sutup to run as local system

Part of the problem is that there isn't anything in the MDBDATA folder - it is completly blank. Perhaps I should uninstall Exchange and format the drives and start over. It might be the quickest solution.

Yikes.

If there is nothing in the mdbdata folder, and you attempt to mount a mailbox store that SHOULD be in the mdbdata folder, you should get the warning box popup saying something about it will create a new, empty database (called a dialtone database) if you continue. If you do continue, it should create the database and mount it.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back