Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to share printer - no option

Status
Not open for further replies.

gparrish

MIS
Feb 28, 2003
US
I am trying to share a printer in Windows ME but it wont allow sharing for files or printers. I have File and Print sharing installed and enabled for both items in network properties. I did login to Windows as the user. When right clicking a folder or printer there is no Share option, same under properties. MS Client and TCPIP are installed and working. I ran through the Wizrd also with no luck.

Seems to be quite broken. I am sure there is some registry entry to del or tweak or some file somewhere that needs to be removed, added or updated. Anyone have any good ideas!??

Thanks!
Greg

I've seen this on a 98 box once, had to reload. Remove the Client for Microsoft Networks, reboot, put it back, reboot, make sure it is the default logon, reboot again if you have to, try it out...

Matt J.

Yea I should have said I have done this. I went even further and removed all the network items - cards, protocols and services and it came back the same way. I will try again - maybe I will get lucky!

Thanks,
Greg

There is something in the registry that's not letting you do this. Short of a reinstall, I don't know what key(s) to look at. Perhaps a google search?

Matt J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back