Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to share folder for user on Windows 2003 server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

123gad

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2001
US
Hi, i need to setup a folder for a user in our U: directory under the user name and share this folder, but when I right click on the folder I don't have the option to share the folder, what do I have to do to get the folder shared, usually it's a simple step - right click share as etc.
I am logged on as the administrator.
thanks for any help

On the server, the usual desktop sharing conventions go out the window. You have to go into the security tab and add the appropriate users with the appropriate rights to access the folder. If you don't have rights to the folder, you can't do jack.
i.e. [user folder]
Add EVERYONE Read & execute, modify, write, read

This will allow everyone to access the folder and use it as their own. This is not recommended in a secure server environment as this opens it up to anyone who wants to dump data into it. If it is only for the user in question, just add their name with the rights in question and you should be good.

cckens

"Not always my best shot, but I hit the target now and then"
-me

Well...not entirely accurate. You still have to share the folder and set share permissions in addition to setting the security permissions.

123gad - when you right click on the folder and choose Properties, what tabs are available to you?

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

There are no more PDC's! There are DC's with FSMO roles!

Hi, thanks for your help, I have the following options:

expand, explore, open, search, scan now, send to, properties, everything except Sharing and security. When i go to properites I have a General, Securtiy and Customize tab.
All I need to do is share some folders, so i can setup the scanner that all the documents go directly to that specific folder. I did it on my W2K server and had no problem.

The O/S on the server is Windows 2003 small business server. Thanks for your help.

Try opening up the Server Management Console on the SBS box. Click on Shares and then Add a Shared Folder. This will being up the Shared Folder Wizard.

Scott

Odd. Do this...create a brand new folder and see if it can be shared.

..and be sure you are logged in as an admin.

Thanks a lot Scottew - it worked. your help is greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back