Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to share files from laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

zggs90

Programmer
Sep 3, 2001
GB
I have a Dell Optiplex GX 20 desktop computer running Windows XP
I have a Dell Latitude D610 laptop running Windows XP
I have a Netgear Wireless router DG834G connected directly to my desktop and a wireless connection to my laptop
I can access the BT broadband internet from both the laptop and the desktop
I can print from my laptop to a printer connected to my desktop
I can share files on the laptop with the desktop; (I can access, edit and save files on the laptop from the desktop)
WHAT I CANNOT DO IS access files on my desktop from my laptop, when I try to map a network drive from my laptop I can see the desktop computer but I cannot see the files and folders that I have given share permission.
Any ideas?

Windows file sharing uses two sets of permissions:

Share permissions define the permissions for the file share
NTFS permissions (set on the security tab of the folder) define permissions on the folder and files/folders within it.

The overall permissions the user account gets are the most restrictive of the two combined.
Because this can be difficult to control, the easiest way is to set the NTFS permissions to what is needed and set the Share permissions to authenticated users: full control.

John

What is the exact error message received on the Laptop when you try to access the Shared Folder on the Desktop?

Are there any error messages in either Event Viewer, especially the Security and System logs?

I know you said the Laptop can access the Printer on the Desktop, but check to see if any Firewall, or firewalling components in any Anti Virus software is interfering.

What happens if the desktop is running in Safe Mode with Networking, you could even try that mode on both machines, is there better access then?

Simple File Sharing- enabled

Simple File Sharing - disabled

Thanks to you both for your response.

I have be doing some more searching and found the following suggestion:

"This is in some cases caused by a registry setting named RestrictAnonymous. Go to the computer which you cannot access, start a registry editor and change the following registry value.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SYSTEM
\CurrentControlSet
\Control
\Lsa
Value name: RestrictAnonymous
Value type: DWORD
If the value is 1 or even 2, change it to 0, reboot and retest. If the problem is solved, leave the value at zero."

I tried this suggestion and magically it worked.

Thanks once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back