Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to set browse/retention time 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jciarlette

Technical User
Aug 27, 2002
US
I am trying to change the retention and browse times with the following and getting an error:

C:\>nsrmm -S 1573307727 -e 10/02/2109 -w 10/02/2109
6240:nsrmm: invalid browse time: 10/02/2109

Why is the time invalid?

As many backup programs today, NW uses the UNIX time in the background (counting in seconds from 01/01/1970).

My personal guess: you defined a date beyond the 32bit barrier which will appear around 2037. Obviously all programs will at least use 64 bit by that time.

IMHO - Setting browse & retention date 100 years ahead is nonsense. Nobody knows whether still soft- and hardware will exist to support that. You have to copy it in the meantime anyway to convert the data and at least refresh the information. And of course it increase the needed space for the index directory. But EMC would love to sell you more disks, of course.

However, if you really need to keep the data that long - eject the media, set the write protect notch and store it in an air-conditioned room offsite.

Thank you for the quick response. That was it. When I changed it the year to 2037 it took. I need to keep the data indefinitely for legal reasons. I guess 28 years will be good for now.

forever" will also do the trick if yiou want to keep your savesets browsable indefinitely.

nsrmm -S 1573307727 -e forever -w forever

Thanks for letting us know. I totally forgot that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back