Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Send

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshT976

Technical User
May 1, 2003
US
I am currently unable to send emails outside my domain.

Im new to Exchange 2000 and not sure where to start.

If I access the SMTP queue's I can see the messages waiting, with a message about a DNS error.

What are the proper settings for the Default SMTP Server

Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Joshua

Thanks for your reply.

I believe the original error message was "Unable to bind to the destination server in DNS"

That message is no longer appearing though. I have no idea what happened to it.

I cannot send nor receive emails outside of my domain now

I havent received any NDR reports from a failed message, however i know the other domain never receives it.

If anybody could answer these questions, I would appreciate it:

1) From a typical installation, is there any settings that need to be made to prevent your server from becoming an Open Relay?

2) Im used to in Exchange 5.5 where you have to set up your outgoing to your ISPs SMTP to allow for proper routing. Is this still the same way.

3) Is it necessary to have an SMTP Connector? What is it used for. What does it do?

4) What would be some good troubleshooter techniques to try to help resolve my email issue.

Any help would be appreciated .

If more information is needed please let me know and I would be more than happy to provide it.

Joshua

More information:

I finally received Undeliverable message for my test messages outside my domain.

Here is the message:

=========================
Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: And yet . . ...another test
Sent: 7/1/2004 3:01 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'Joshua Thompson' on 7/1/2004 3:23 AM
A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients. Contact your administrator.
<server.jtsystems.org #5.3.5>

====================
As always, any help is appreciated.

hi

I had a simmalar problem, we use btconnect as our isp, they had recently changed thier system of logging on and after speaking to them I needed to authenticate the outbound server in outlook services. It worked fine after that.

Shouldn't that configuration change be made on the Exchange Server side, not the client side?

And if so, where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back