Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to send to AOL - outbound IP shows router IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

techseek

MIS
Nov 5, 2010
US
Hello all
I am not a router person. We just installed Exch2010 and all is good except for AOL not allowing our emails to get to it. My consultant says that since whatismyip.com (from our email server) shows the routers IP instead of the mail server IP, the config on the router is "wrong".
Can someone explain what he means by that?
We added 3 static mappings for ports 80/25/443 and like I sais all mail flow is good except to AOL

Thanks

Sounds like you have at least 2 static IPs, 1 for your router and 1 for your Exchange server. Assuming that the Exchange server is going out that router, it would mean that NAT on the router for outbound is not set up correctly. For whatever reason, AOL's spam filters apparently don't like the IP tied to messages coming from your Exchange server. Without more details on what you have where, it's impossible to suggest more.

And this is basic Mickey Mouse stuff, you need a better "consultant".

There is no need to have a separate IP address for your Exchange server. Make sure to have an A record in public DNS with the the server name you use to sign emails with, mapped to the public IP you are using to source your SMTP. That's all. Example: your server sends mail as mailrelay.mydomain.com and it is NATed to IP 1.2.3.4. Add the A record to the external (public) DNS i.e.

mailrelay.mydomain.com A 1.2.3.4
TTL is up to you.

Optionally, if you can, ask your ISP to remove reverse name resolution for the IP address. This will improve your chances with those SMTP servers that are strict enough to check RDNS.

And I agree with jpm121, fire your "consultant".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back