Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to send or recieve FAX

Status
Not open for further replies.

avayabrain

Technical User
Apr 8, 2008
CA
one of user unable to send or recieve fax...
wondering what do i check and how to resolve it?

It is CM 4.0 and s8300

Have you plugged in an analog phone or buttset and make sure it has dial tone?

Thats where I would start.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

If this is a Converged system like an S8XXX system then you may want to check your codec

change ip-codec-set x (codec set for the region) and verify modem and fax are set to "passthrough

yes there is dilatone. They can send fax on the same floor internally, they cannot send it externally.

Simreal,

I checked modem and fax are set to "passthrough",

dont know what to check and resolve?

Does the system require you dial "9" to seize and outside trunk ? If so is the 9 dialed before the number?

There is a "known issue" with S8XXX systems regarding faxes & modems. Seems as though most will fail if the analogue card & trunks are in different port networks. Voice traffic will not be affected, it's something to do with the IP-TDM-IP conversion.

you need to make sure the Stratum II synchonisation is set on your port networks.

Do a "ch synch port 1"

See example below. Enter the DS1 board position in the primary and another one in the secondary.

This synchronisation is necessary for data transfer. i.e. modems and faxes through the switch.

SYNCHRONIZATION SOURCE (circuit pack location)

Stratum: 4

Primary: 01B12 Secondary: 01B14

CIRCUIT PACKS AVAILABLE FOR SYNCHRONIZATION
Location Type Name Slip Location Type Name Slip
01B12 DS1 BT 1 n
01B14 DS1 BT 2 n

NOTE: DS1 and BRI TRUNK sources result in stratum 4, type II synchronization

Derek

[Started on Version 3 software 15 years a go]

Thanks...

This is a remote site connected to hubsite. Shall i run this comand on hubsite or remote site(s8300)?

You would make the changes on the hub site then do a save translations LSP

Staylor2:

Do you have any links with information on this "known problem" I'd like to review and see if it's causing some of the fax/modem issues we are seeing.

what is the fax user experiencing? is the far-end fax answering but not receiving the full fax document, or can you not dial out at all? do you get any denial events?

do you get dial tone at the fax port?

I would start with a list trace on the station and note the voip resources you are using for the call. I have had situations where the medpro was faulty and did not fail any tests. if you have more than 1 medpro (prowler) board in the same network region you can camp-on busy out the inmtial board that you see being used in the list trace and place the call again. I beliueve that Avaya corrected the fax/modem issue stated earlier some time ago. you may quite possibly have a configuration problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back