Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Send or Receive Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

epayne

MIS
May 17, 2002
US
Hello,
I have set up a E2k server and AD with DNS on a child domain of my organization for testing purposes. I have made my DNS the authoritative server for my child domain. I am able to send and receive mail from internal users but I am unable to send or receive from external sources. I think it has something to do with my DNS or SMTP but am unsure. I have ran nltest and netdiag on my DNS and everything seems Ok. There is a mx record on my child domain for exchangeserver.child.domain.org. I can't even send mail to User@[000.000.000.000]. That get's bounced too. Any help would be appreciated.

Eric

What is the NDR?

Sounds initially like external DNS resolution. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'ericseanpayne@yahoo.com'. Subject 'hello', Account: 'exchangetest.child.domain.org', Server: 'exchangetest.child.domain.org', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for ericseanpayne@yahoo.com', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

I have added an smtp connector to the internet and now I can send mail to external sites. I am still having trouble sending mail to my parent domain (sendmail on Unix)and I still can not recieve any email. This is the NDR I got when trying to send mail to my regular email account:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: hello
Sent: 5/17/2002 9:59 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

epayne@domain.org on 5/17/2002 9:59 AM
The e-mail address could not be found. Perhaps the recipient moved to a different e-mail organization, or there was a mistake in the address. Check the address and try again.
<exchangetest.child.domain.org #5.1.8 smtp;553 5.1.8 <epayne@child.domain.org>... Domain of sender address epayne@child.domain.org does not exist>

The second NDR is because it can't find an MX record. Are you forcing to do reverse lookups on the SMTP Virtual Server? If so this could also cause the problem.

This should solve the first NDR. Q290808 Dan

Thank you for your responses. I did have reverse lookups enabled so I disabled it. Unfortunatly, it still does not work. I have a mx record on the DNS server of my child domain and it looks like this:

Exchangetest host x.x.x.x
Exchangetest Mail Exchanger [10]exchangetest.child.domain

Do I need to have a mx record for my parent domain? I have forwarding of my child domain queries to my child domain DNS. My parent domain is a Unix DNS running send-mail. If I set up a MX record on my parent domain, won't I mess up my send-mail? Any help is appreciated.

No MX for parent no way to know who to send it to. Dan

Thank you for your help. My Unix admin did not delegate the subdomain to me so it didn't matter how many mx records I had on my DNS server because it wasn't getting there.

Check the what you have set in the smtp protocol for relays

mritorto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back