Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to send mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddysan

IS-IT--Management
Apr 28, 2003
NL
Hi all,

I've just installed sbs2011 and I only have one problem so far ;-) I am not able to send mail to an external mail address. Internal it's working fine and also POP is no problem. I have set smtp.ziggo.nl for the outgoing mail and this is working fine with SBS2003.
Can it has something to do with portsettings?

Thanks in advance, Ed

Hi,

Can you ping smtp.ziggo.nl and telnet on port 25 from the server?

Regards
Bobby

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for your support.

Yes I can ping smtp.ziggo.nl but port 25 is blocked by the ISP. (have used to test this) That's the reason why I am using a smarthost filter.
Btw, I did managed to send one mail to a gmail account but not to a live.nl account. Strange?

Rgds, Ed

if your outbound port 25 is blocked im not sure you can use any smarthost, all SMTP outbound mail uses 25.

Okay, so what can be the cause? Again, the actual SBS2003 is using the same settings and is working fine.

When you did the SBS 2011 install did your run all the wizards? SBS2003 was less dependent on the wizards that 2011. There are a couple of other test you can run to see if its a server or isp issue:

from a laptop/PC on the same netwrok try to telnet to smtp.ziggo.nl, the best way to do this is from the CMD prompt: Telnet smtp.ziggo.nl 25

If this works, the its related to the server in some way, if its doesnt its an ISP or firewall issue. There are a lot of sites that fix down outbound port 25 comms to a single IP address, the mail server, I assume the SBS2011 box has a different IP address to the 2003 box, is your firewall locked down to this?

Bobby

Hi Bobby,

I have checked portsettings from the SBS2011 and it was port 25. So I changed it to 587 but now I have the next results;

send mail to xx@live.nl nothing happen
send mail to xx@gmail.com, got a reply undeliverable mail. check systemadministrator

This is the current config:

AddressSpaces : {smtp:*;1}
AuthenticationCredential :
Comment :
ConnectedDomains : {}
ConnectionInactivityTimeOut : 00:10:00
DNSRoutingEnabled : False
DomainSecureEnabled : False
Enabled : True
ErrorPolicies : Default
ForceHELO : False
Fqdn : remote.blablabla.nl
HomeMTA : Microsoft MTA
HomeMtaServerId : SERVER
Identity : Windows SBS Internet Send SERVER
IgnoreSTARTTLS : False
IsScopedConnector : False
IsSmtpConnector : True
LinkedReceiveConnector :
MaxMessageSize : 10 MB (10,485,760 bytes)
Name : Windows SBS Internet Send SERVER
Port : 587
ProtocolLoggingLevel : None
RequireOorg : False
RequireTLS : False
SmartHostAuthMechanism : None
SmartHosts : {smtp.ziggo.nl}
SmartHostsString : smtp.ziggo.nl
SmtpMaxMessagesPerConnection : 20
SourceIPAddress : 0.0.0.0
SourceRoutingGroup : Exchange Routing Group (DWBGZMFD01QNBJR)
SourceTransportServers : {SERVER}
TlsAuthLevel :
TlsDomain :
UseExternalDNSServersEnabled : False

Any idea?

Do a " test on both servers. Do both get the same address? If they don't then that's your issue: the smarthost is expecting your mail connection to come from the IP that the SBS 2003 box was using and not the IP that your newer server is using. If you really are seeing a "port blocked by ISP" message, this is the likely cause: one IP has its ports being blocked, the other does not.

Also, are you sure the SBS 2003 box was not providing some kind of authentication when it connected to the smarthost? If it was, you're going to need to set that same authentication up on the SBS 2011 box.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Okay, everything is working fine, except one thing. I can send mail to all domains except @live.nl addresses. Please advise me how to troubleshoot this one last issue! Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back