Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to send email to hotmail 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedingwolf

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2003
US
Can you think of any reason why we wouldn't be able to send e-mail to hotmail accounts, but we can to all others? Also, we can send to hotmail accounts when it is in reply to messages, but not when it is created fresh… it doesn't make any sense to me…

Thanks folks?

Hve you try checking in the Exchange anti-spam? I know symantec Exchange anti-spam software have the option to block AOL, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. I would look into that.

Benjamin, thanks for the post. This is an outgoiong problem and not an incoming problem, so filtering should not be an issue should it?

maybe hotmail has your IP blocked if your acting and a smtp relay maybe a spammers got your ip blocked without you knowing.

Thanks DG, wouldn't this also block a message that is in reply to a message sent from hotmail as well? When someone recieves a message from a hotmail account and replies, the message goes through. But if they create a new message and put a hotmail acount in to address, it dissapears, no error message, no unable to contact host message, nothing. We have relaying disabled.

I'm having the same problem but just when sending from OWA.

I am experiencing the same problem sending email to ameritech and sbcglobal clients. Also there is a delay in sending to AOL clients. Please advise.

meridianbob

This could definetley happen when replying to a received msg from hotmail. When you are sending any msg to hotmail they will attempt a reverse dns lookup on the mail, if you haven't got a ptr setup pointing back to your exchange server, then hotmail/aol will bounce it. Check and have a look at reverse mx entries for your domain. If u haven't got one, ask the people who provide your line to put one in for your domain pointing back to your mailservers external ip address

Sorry Meridianbob I mis-read your thread, you say that when replying to a hotmail msg it goes through? All i know is that we had probs with hotmail/aol and it was due to lack of ptr,,worth looking into

Thanks Darren, most of what I have been able to find points to reverse dns lookup, that is a likely cause. I will look into this and see what I come up with, thanks,

Bob

I have this problem when I send My Exchange mail via a SMTP Proxy for some reason the proxy removes header info from the headers, but this only happens on Exchange recipients such as Blueyonder.co.uk and Hotmail.com.
My resolution was to create a Filted SMTP connector on my Firebox for outgoing SMTP and a Proxy SMTP (need proxy to scan for spam)

I know this is of no assistance but I had all the same symptoms you had

Thanks Darren, we had our ISP enter a reverse DNS entry pointed back to our exchange servers WAN IP address and though it took a little while, it seems that we are now able to send e-mail to hotmail again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back