Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to see own web site from internal network

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpez64

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2003
US
I have a Symantec Firewall/VPN 200. I'm unable to see my website from any of the workstations from within my network. I am however to see my web site exteranlly. My web site is being hosted by a web hosting company. I was able to see my site a month ago but I've not gone back to my site since. So, I think the problem may be with the firewall. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem?

carpez

Did you recently install the VPN-200?

If the site is being hosted by an outside entity I am assuming it is located on their server which is outside of your network. Is this correct? If so, it should behave like everyone else's website. Are you able to access any other sites from behind the firewall?

Do you have any access filters configured?

Is the public IP address for the Symantec the same as your website's IP address? If so, the Symantec is configured with the wrong address, and is not able to reach the website due to the way it routs traffic.

Are you able to use the VPN portion of the firewall?

The VPN-200 has been installed for about a year now.

The site is outside my network and I am able to go to any web site address except for my own web site interanlly.

There are no "Access Filters" enabled on the VPN-200.

My public IP address is not the same as my website address and I am able to use the VPN on the firewall.

I just can't figure this one out. Any other ideas?

I found out what the problem was and it was not my firewall. It was a DNS issue as you said. I used "nslookup" from the workstation and it was pointing to my server's IP address. I checked the DNS and sure enough I added a new host (www) to my .com zone and used the IP address for my web site. Went back to the workstation did a "ipconfig /flushdns and then ipconfig /registerdns" and it worked. I was able to go to my site. Tested all my network workstations and they all worked.

Problem solved.

Thanks for you help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back