Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to see network via VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

soundguy

MIS
Dec 12, 2001
GB
Hello,

We have 5 NT4 Servers. SP6a on all.

From my laptop I connect to the Internet via ISP.
I then start the VPN connection.
The first set of username and password is accepted, then I am prompted for Microsoft Networking username and password, I enter them - I then recieve the error message

"No domain server was available to validate your password, You may not be able to gain access to some network resources"

The username and passwword are correct, the user has dial in rights, I have added the details into the LMhosts file.

Is there something I am missing or doing wrong.
I can shove a network cable in the notebook and browse the network. But it wont work VPN.

Thanks
Phil

Sounds like name resolution problem to me. Are you using static names in the LMHOSTS file, or are you using WINS on the network? Also, how are the VPN clients getting their IP addresses on the network? If you are using DHCP and WINS, you should add the WINS server IP address to the scope options. That way, when the client connects and gets an IP address, it also gets the IP address of the WINS server to send name resolution queries.

Hi,

We are using DHCP and DHCP for wins resolution.
the IP address of the Wins server is not in the DHCP scope it is static.

What should I do? Any ideas

OK. I'd add the IP address of the WINS server to the DHCP scope options. These are additional values you can push down to the clients when they get an IP address. You really want the clients connecting to the VPN to send all requests to resolve NETBIOS names to that WINS server, just like as if they were physically connected to the LAN, and this is the only surefire way to ensure that the VPN clients do that. When you add the WINS server to the scope, you also have to set the WINS/NBT node type. Basically, this tells the client how to send out a name resolution request. Do a little reading on it, but most likely you will want to set it as 0x8, or "H-node type" as it usually is referred to. After you do this, stop and start DHCP, connect a client to VPN, open a command prompt with the client, and try to ping the WINS server by name.

Hope that helps.

Just a thought. I had similar problems when setting up my VPN. I found that I had to set the workgroup name on the remote client to the domain name of the VPN server. Also, the client had to be logged in as their user name for the network. So if the domain was WORKGROUP and my username was USER. I had to use the same settings on my client system. That fixed it for me. Worth a try.

Jason. Good point, although that usually only affects what you see in Network Neighborhood. Still, he should do that too so the servers can be browsed while connected to VPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back