Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to save files in Word, Excel & OUTLOOK 2000 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigeldk

Technical User
Jul 7, 2001
AU
Over the last weeks Excel and Word and OUTLOOK 2000 refuse to save files, yet I can copy them to wordpad and save to directories. I receive three types of messages"
In word 'This is not a valid file name.
Try one or more of the following:
*Check the path to make sure it was typed correctly
*Select a file from the list of files and folders'
In Excel
'Your changes could not be saved to ", but were saved to a temporary document named 'cc899900'. Close the existing document, then open the temporary document and asve it under a new name'
In OUTLOOK
'Cannot save the attachment. The system cannot find the path specified."
Now, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the applications. I have edited the registry of all refernce to 'word' to no avail.
I have perused the system.ini and win.ini, autexec.bat and config.sys. I am using win98 SE. I think that the only option now is to do the usual six monthly reformat.
but any gurus out there had this before I would like to know how to fix it

To Calli:

Don't know if this will help but at the site mentioned above if you had clicked on NETWORK and look at the bottom of the page there is information regarding WIN95. It's worth a shot.

Here's a C&P of the addy:

Good luck, --MiggyD

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Thanks for the tip miggy. I went and took a look again to uninstall registry explorer but I'm positive it is not on the pc that is having the problems saving in office 2000.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Try this Gchurchwell I found it on another site and wanted to share. My user had the exact same issue as yours and it worked for me. You may have to search for the OLK* folder as it is hidden from the OS unless you specifically search for it....
I had a user with the same exact error just different file name they were opening. I did Exit and Logoff for Outlook, closed all open windows. Went to Internet Options, Temporary Internet Files Settings and changed space to around 200MB and then deleted files and checked Offline also. Went to C:\Documents and Settings\username\local settings\temporary internet and then opened folder labeled OLK, it may have numbers after it but this is where Outlook stores files that are opened from attachments. I deleted 2 years, 558 files, worth of files and then emptied the recycle bin. Had the user log into Outlook 2000 SP-1 again and they opened the attachment without a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back