Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to run Windows Help or System Info 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

szamkow

Technical User
Sep 14, 2001
US
When I try to run either Help (from the Start mneu) or System Information (either from Programs or directly by running msinfo32.exe), I get this page display for Help and Support:

"The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings....

<snip>

Cannot find server or DNS error&quot;

The internet connection is fine (I'm posting from this machine), all other DNS lookups work, all security settings are correct, etc. The system has no viruses, according to a scan with the latest Norton definitions.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Use System Restore to roll your computer back to a date to before when your computer worked right. Before the error(s) started occuring.

To start System Restore, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. Or, in the Help and Support main screen, click Use System Restore under Fix a problem. Emachines, Celeron 600, 256 Mb RAM, 10 Gb HDD, ADSL.

Thanks for the suggestion.

One issue is that I don't know when it last worked correctly. This only came up because I wanted to check something with System Info, which did not work. So I went to Help to see why SysInfo wouldn't work and that didn't work either.
Could have been that way for the last 6 months or the last 2 days, as I rarely use either.

I'll try some restore points and see what I can come up with.
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back